Xbox One Lapped Heatsink --- 3m Micron Polishing Cloths

gameroms Feb 26, 2014

1. gameroms

gameroms XPG
    25/47

Console:
    Xbox One
    I will be doing a xbox 360e heatsink tomorrow and i will update each step with a pic, so this tutorial is a WIP till then.

I know this is prob a waste of time on a console but i was bored..

This is going to be a watercooling project soon as i get the spare cash for the external setup, currently the only thing i have is the xspc xb1 waterblock.

While waiting on all the parts I decided to lap the original heatsink.

I used a 12in x 12in piece of glass as a base and taped the sandpaper to it.

1. I started with 320 grit wet/dry sandpaper & a sharpie and colored the whole base with the sharpie and sanded it till all of the sharpie color was gone.

2. 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper and sanded in the opposite direction and sanded until all of the marks from the 320 grit was gone.

3. 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper and sanded in the opposite direction of the 400 grit until all the marks from the 400 grit was gone.

4. 800 grit wet/dry sandpaper and sanded in the opposite direction of the 600 grit until all the marks from the 600 grit was gone.

Now its time for the polishing, i used 3M Micron Polishing Papers:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001BHGC7G/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

30 Micron = 400 grit
    15 Micron = 600 grit
    9 Micron = 1200 grit
    3 Micron = 4000 grit
    2 Micron = 6000 grit
    1 Micron = 8000 grit

1. I started with the 30 Micron taped to the 12 x 12 piece of glass and and polished till all the marks from the 800 grit sandpaper was gone.

2. 15 Micron paper and polished until all the marks from the 30 Micron polishing paper was gone.

3. 9 Micron paper and polished until all the marks from the 15 Micron polishing paper was gone.

4. 3 Micron paper and polished until all the marks from the 9 Micron polishing paper was gone.

5. 2 Micron paper and polished until all the marks from the 3 Micron polishing paper was gone.

6. 1 Micron paper and polished until all the marks from the 2 Micron polishing paper was gone.

This whole process took about 2hrs with me taking smoke breaks from time to time & here is the final results using the 3m Micron Polishing Paper.

Wish I would have took a pic of how dull & rough the stock surface was, I'm going to get the watercooling guy to take a pic of the base on his without the tim on it..

[​IMG]

2. cr

crazyian1000 Member
    25/47

Wow impressive nice work ;)

3. gameroms

gameroms XPG
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox One
    Here is a little something else you can do with the 3m Micron Polishing Cloths, this was a quick 20min job and after i pick up a little plastic polish it will revive this case to almost good as new.

Left side untouched --- Right Side 20min polishing with diff Micron Polishing Cloths..
    Click On Pic For A Better View
    [​IMG]

4. gameroms

gameroms XPG
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox One
    Orig condition of xb1 heatsink

[​IMG]