Tags:

What Was Your First PC? Nostalgia Time!

Bullet Aug 21, 2014

1. Bu

Bullet Guest

I was just having a little trip down memory lane with a few of the staff here and we got to talking about our very first PC's and I thought for a bit of fun it would be interesting to see what you guys had as a first PC.
    Personally I am one of those brave pioneers that helped pave the way for the younger generations to enjoy things such as full color monitors, and DVD drives.
    Back in my day it was a full bodied green screen that we spent hours staring at whilst waiting patiently for a cassette tape deck to load up a game which could take anywhere up to an hour and sometimes longer if the game needed 2 tapes.

I understand that not everybody will know what the heck a cassette tape even is so i have decided to show you a few images to help me tell my tales of woe.

So on my Commodore 64 for instance it had something we old farts call a tape deck that we would place a cassette tape of our games into in order for it to load up:

So we would take this:

[​IMG]

And place it in here:

[​IMG]

This would load the game onto our PC:

[​IMG]

Which could take anywhere up to an hour or more. In return for our patients we would be rewarded with this:

[​IMG]

That would symbolize one of two things, either the game was loading or had crashed... only time would tell!

If you got to the end of the tape and you were still looking at a screen similar to the image above you would have to start over gain.

[​IMG]

If however you were looking at a screen like the one above you were now playing one of the high end games of the time with graphics that would blow you away!

Do any of the images above bring back memories for you , what was your very first home computer, and favorite game?

2. Mirax

Mirax XPG Junkie Lifetime Gold
    235/282

Console:
    Xbox One
    Mine was a dell desktop back in 2002! lol 512mb ram, 80gb hdd ..... such a beast it was ;)

3. Renegade

Renegade Super Special Awesome XPG Developer
    105/188

Console:
    Xbox
    Oh lawd. The younguns of this generation don't know WHAT they missed out on lol.

4. Bu

Bullet Guest

Owning an early personal computer was character building, you needed stamina and dedication to be a gamer back in the good ol days!

5. Bezza

Bezza Naughty but Nice XPG Retired Staff
    205/282

Console:
    Xbox One
    ZX Spectrum 48K , ZX Spectrum + 2 128K , Commodore 64 tapes floppys and catrages they was the days you really did have to have dedecation

6. GoldZ

GoldZ Lifetime Gold Lifetime Gold XPG Retired Staff TeamXPG
    306/376

Console:
    Xbox
    good ol Atari 65XE ;)

7. Ro

Rocky Guest

Amstrad CPC 464 with a green screen was my first

[​IMG]

I was addicted to a game called Harrier Attack

[​IMG]

Then I upgraded to a color monitor and my world changed forever :LOL:

8. Bu

Bullet Guest

I actually had an Amstrad CPC464 with a color monitor looked slightly newer:

[​IMG]

9. Ro

Rocky Guest

Yeah I had the one with coloured keys on the keyboard, That other pic was just a random from google, After that I bought a Commodore c64 :)

10. XPGHerozHD

XPGHerozHD Member
    45/47

Console:
    Xbox
    [​IMG]

I'm one of those new generation people, the first computer I ever used was a old Microsoft laptop. :LOL:

11. De

DellBoy Veni Vidi Vici Lifetime Gold
    235/282

Console:
    Xbox
    Oh hell yeah for sure I had a commodore 64 and I remember loading the tape going out to play having tea and then coming back and the thing still dad not loaded lol, also when you died you had to load the dam thing again and some games would be on both sides so when you where half way through the game you'd have a 1 hour plus wait to load again to play. Paper Boy was so fun Im sure I played lemmings on it too can't quite remember the games I played on the tapes
    [​IMG]

I had a Amiga 500 with a 1MB upgrade and I remember the size of the 1MB upgrade board was huge like the size of the floppy disks you put in the thing and it cost loads in went inside underneath also we had a massive thing that connected to the left hand side and a 1MB upgrade was like massive back then lol (I have a 64GB micro SD chip now oh how times have changed)
    Funny how I found this picture online as it is close to the exact same setup look I had with all the controls and the disk cases with the crappy easy picked locks lol
    [​IMG]
    Can't remember what this was we had connected to the left had side
    [​IMG]

My first proper PC was a x486 pentium and it was a Compaq Presario 4118 and it was 56k dial up internet and EDO ram memory we bought a 32mb ram stick and I remember memory back then used to cost about £1 per MB this PC my grandad bought from Currys it was around £1100+ (crazy expensive back in the early 90's
    Taking this thing apart and back together at the age of 12 is how I learn't how to build pc's)
    Hard to find a pic of the 4118 I had to search "old compaq desktops pc's" lol but I had the same speakers exact what I had that would keep falling off all the dam time lol
    [​IMG]

And when I got into PC gaming I remember the first ever Gaming Graphics card I ever got was a 3DFX Vodoo Graphics Card
    I'm sure just about every guy over 30 years old and had a pc and loved playing games remembers 3DFX Voodoo Cards I had to get one to play a Tomb Raider game I forget the name, but it was ace and everytime you started a game you would get this cool 3DFX Voodoo graphic spin on the screen lol
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The pictures I found on google to remind myself and others what it used to be like oh good old days, kids these days have no idea lol

12. IH

IH8UALL Guest

Mine was back in 1985ish. Something like this one:

[​IMG]

I used to sit upon that thing all night and screw around with it. Had no freaking idea what i was doing half the time but I thought it was the coolest thing in the world. I've played around with Commodore 64 and some other ones before this. But this one I could truly say was my first. I was like Oh look at this, and I found something else do today. Just kept going and going and going. Thought the internet was the coolest thing ever also. Lost a lot of girlfriends during this time. But hey i had a computer. I didnt care LOL

But now I look back and say to myself: Back in the day was so much easier than today. A hell of a lot slower but easier to operate LOL.