Titanfall DLC could add alien monsters, new Titan classes would be tricky

Rocky Mar 14, 2014

1. Ro

Rocky Guest

Here's a dribble of additional insight about Titanfall's DLC strategy, from the mouth of the one and only Abbie Heppe, aka Respawn community manager, aka Militia commander Sarah. It seems that new Titan classes are a bit of a big ask - originally, the base game was only meant to include a single breed of Titan, the Atlas - but maps that feature certain of the alien wildlife you may have encountered in the official Titanfall artbook aren't impossible.

"We are going to have maps added, and we're trying to give players as much of a varied look at things as we can so that is definitely a possibility," Heppe commented succinctly when pushed on the subject by IGN. There's a precedent in-game - you'll encounter winged predators on the Boneyard map, and the giant creature from the artbook shot below is visible in the background.

[​IMG]

Adding Titans, however, "takes so much balancing" that it may not be practical. "That's a real big question," Heppe explained. "In order to [add a Titan] it takes so much balancing to make all the Titan abilities work with each other, and then against pilots. It's a huge undertaking.

"Originally we just had the Atlas titans and then the team refused to add in the rest of the Titans until we were all sure that that one fitted perfectly with everything else in the game, so... I'm not announcing any new Titans right now!"

Elsewhere in the chat, she discussed mixed reactions to the game's campaign multiplayer. "We're always looking towards iterating and what's next and what we can learn. So would we do everything exactly the same way? I don't think any game developer ever would tell you yes. I think we're always looking at going bigger and better so we'll see what happens in the future.

[​IMG]

"I'm really, really happy with what the team has done though. As a start and exploring what narrative elements we can bring into multiplayer... being one of the first companies that's doing it the way we did it, I'm pretty happy about that. It's one of my favourite ways to play the game."

There will be three DLC packs, at least, comprising new maps and other content. That's DLC in the old-fashioned sense of being an actual download, yes - speaking to OXM last week, Heppe described on-disc DLC as "scary community territory".

The game launches in the UK today, and is already available in North America, Europe and Australia. Here's our Titanfall Xbox One review, plus some Titanfall tips to ensure that you hit the ground running.

Source - OXM