The Last of Us 2 - A PS4 Spinoff & Not A Sequel?!

Nasyr Feb 23, 2015

1. Nasyr

Nasyr The Nice One Lifetime Gold XPG Retired Staff
    185/188

Console:
    Xbox One
    For the time being, Naughty Dog are busy giving Nathan Drake the send-off he deserves with Uncharted 4 : A Thief's End, which could be a little more open-world than we'd thought. Afterwards, the team at one of the most prestigious developers in the world will focus their sights on either the future of The Last of Us as a franchise, or an new IP. Though we've received little news in this department.​

But something that Sony said about The Order: 1886 sheds some light on the prospects of seeing The Last of Us 2 get an exclusive PS4 release date. They stated that after all of the work that Ready At Dawn has put into making this game, it would be pointless to abandon the series and not consider it to be a franchise. So not only will we get another The Order title, with the amount of work that Neil Druckmann and his team devoted into The Last of Us, I'm sure we'll see this world return too.​
    The Last of Us 2 - A Spin-Off or A Sequel?​
    But now the question remains, will Naughty Dog make The Last of Us 2 a sequel or a spin-off title for the PS4? When it comes to a game as well received as The Last of Us, a lot of fans are split about their beliefs on what a game that returns to this world should feature.​
    I'm one of those that feels as if Joel and Ellie should NOT receive a sequel starring them. Their personal journey is over in my mind and I'd love to see Naughty Dog take the series into some uncharted territory (ND puns lol). However, there is one way that I can see The Last of Us 2 featuring Joel and Ellie, but they're only cameos and it involves Joel as the villain.​
    I feel as if a sequel will dilute the affect that their relationship had on us in The Last of Us, and we may become jaded following these characters around as they don't exactly have the blockbuster appeal of the witty Nathan Drake. The Last of Us presents a world that could be teeming with potential stories about other families journeys through this world.​
    Or maybe we could even see a full prequel? One that explores the rising of the fireflies against the government? Or one that takes place years after Joel and Ellie's adventures, showing us a land that has changed quite drastically since their adventure took place.​
    So what do you feel The Last of Us fans? Would you be interested in seeing Joel and Ellie return again as the leads in The Last of Us 2 or as cameos? Or not at all in fact? Where would you want Neil Druckmann and Naughty Dog to take the future of this franchise on the PS4? Be sure to let us know in the comments!​

Source: MP