The Bureau XCOM Declassified Review

GamrInsanity Aug 23, 2013

1. GamrInsanity

GamrInsanity FanBoyFeed
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    [​IMG]

The Bureau: XCOM Declassified is a predictable reaction to the successful reboot of XCOM Enemy Unknown in 2012. It takes that game’s alien invasion setting and elements of its strategy gameplay, and bungs them into a more conventional action game.

WARNING! If you go into this game with the mindset of playing it as a straight shooter, you’re going to have a bad time. You do need to show a certain level of finesse and, although the alien AI isn't really much to be write home about, they can still give you a run for your money and occasionally have absolutely withering firepower to throw at you.

The powers are probably the best feature of the game. Depending on the class, every soldier has different powers that you can build a strategy around. You can get your soldier class to taunt an enemy, leaving an another for you to lift off the ground and finish off with a critical hit from your sniper/recon man. Got a bunch of them charging you, get your engineer class to throw out a turret. The main character is a healer class, but also has powers he can use to distract and immobilize enemies.

Good:
    ~I'm love the noir All the retro tech. and fedoras make me smile. The ability to rename and repaint my squad helps immerse me in the a world where every one is named **** Swissknife.
    ~The guns are fun and diverse but, nothing new to XCOM.
    ~Punching is hilarious, especially when your squad never see it coming.
    ~This game also implements Mass Effect style talking sequences. They help expand the lore. As well as the scattered notes and recordings that you will find along the linear levels.

Ugly:
    ~All of my teammates would much rather be dead than stay under my command. They constantly move out of cover and into the fray, despite my insistence that they stay in the one, and there is only one, full cover area.
    ~The team AI is thick as bricks. Moving them from one point to another is a gamble to whether they will remain safe and go along cover to there destination. Or they run straight through to there inevitable deaths.
    ~Also, no coop! I know XCOM has long been a singleplayer adventure but this would have been a perfect way to fix the AI; by getting rid of it.

Overall, the game is enjoyable at best, but could have been made a lot better had the developer taken more time to refine it and add to the content. It feels very abrasive while playing.

[​IMG]

2. netmafia

netmafia Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    I totally agree with this. The reason why I Restart to Checkpoint often is because of those stupid teammates dying.
    Overall, I still enjoy the game. Hope a Title Update would fix the dumb AI. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.