Smash Bros. on the Switch in 2018??

Grizzy Feb 24, 2018

1. Grizzy

Grizzy Contributor
    25/47

[​IMG]

A Super Smash Bros. game for the Switch might be coming sooner than expected!

There have been rumors about the next Smash Bros. game for years now, but the latest and possibly the most reliable rumor comes from the reputable Nintendo tipster Emily Rogers -- more about who she is later in the article. When asked on the ResetEra forums about how much new content a potential Switch version of Smash Bros. would feature Emily responded:

“Unfortunately, I don't have enough information to speculate whether Smash Bros will be branded/marketed as a ‘deluxe definitive edition port’, a ‘half-sequel’ or a ‘full sequel’.

I can only confirm two things:
    1. A Smash Bros title will be announced and released for Switch later this year. ​

2. They added brand new content and re-worked some of the existing Wii U/3DS content.”

What the heck is a “deluxe definitive edition port" or a "half-sequel" you may be wondering. Well recently, other WiiU to Switch ports have been very successful (like Mario Kart 8). So it’s likely that a good deal of content for the next Smash game could be coming from Super Smash Bros. For 3DS and WiiU (that's the official title). “Smash 4”, as it’s commonly called, did not build nearly as much popularity and revenue as the other Smash titles — which is another reason a “half sequel” or “deluxe port” could be in the works”

So who is Emily Rogers, and how big of a grain of salt should you take this rumor with? Well Rogers has leaked a lot of Nintendo info in the past that ended up true, most notably she nailed the Switch’s hardware specs before it was released. However Rogers has also been wrong: she predicted Super Mario Odyssey would replace Zelda: BOTW as the Switch’s launch game… but she did correct this info BEFORE launch day.

What do you guys think?

• Will the next Super Smash Bros. be more in the vein of Splatoon 2: a “sequel” in title alone, with just a bit of new content.

• More of a direct port like Mario Kart 8: basically a remastered version with a few new maps and DLC later on.

• OR will it be an entirely new game with tons of new content will boost the Switch’s crazy sales numbers even higher?

Personally I’m really hoping for the last option. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Deh Deh

Deh Deh Member
    25/47

Console:
    Xbox One
    I agree, hopefully it be an entirely new game with tons of new content. Like you said,Mario Kart 8 was basically a remastered version with a few new maps.. I was hoping for a newer things in Mario Kart 8,but all we got is this.. .Now I'm crossing my fingers for Nintendo to bring us new things for the new Super Smash Bros.

• Like Like x 1