Remastered games, love or loath?

Bullet Jul 4, 2015

1. Bu

Bullet Guest

I can recall queing up on the launch nights of both the Xbox One and the PS4 consoles, standing in ques for hours and freezing my nips off to get my hands on the latest in gaming technoloy.
    The first few month were thin on the ground for games on both the 'Next Gen' consoles and at that time I was glad to play anything and everything, just so I had something to play.

Since the early days, we have had some great new games such as TitanFall, Destiny and more, but what also seems to be trending right now is remakes of old games, remasters are starting to flood the market.
    We have backwards compatibility on both the Xbox One and the PS4 for the moments of nostalgia, when you reminisce with friends about how great the 'Good ol days' were on the last gen consoles, but what i find is that nostalgia quickly looses its appeal when you find yourself a few hours into a game that you have already played to death in the past.

As good as some games were, do we really want to see them remastered on the XB1 or PS4? Wouldn't you rather be submersed in a whole new storyline, new gameplay and be thrilled by the unknown?
    I for one am happy that my console is capable of backwards compatability and if i want to play an ol game, I am happy to do it using that feature. Please do not ask me to part with my hard earned cash for a remake of an old game. Developers spend your valuable time making new games, leave the past in the past...

What are your thoughts on remasers, are they the good, the bad or the ugly? Let me know your thoughts...

2. AD

ADDZ Guest

Personally I do like GTA V & The Last of Us BUT it's because GTA V had heist DLC now and I never played The Last of Us, the coding and story is already there for these remastered games so it's lazy, yes it still takes a lot of work but we have played these "classics" so many times in the bast hence the tittle as a classic, they go platinum and GOTY edition, discount or even free games for gold/PSN+ so seriously do we want to keep playing the same old games that we can probably walk through in our heads and have played for the last 10 year with the same old tired controls? I don't TBH

Uncharted and GOW will be another thing I but but I know them inside out so it's only because I'm loyal and love these tittles that I'll play them again *yawn*

Give us new projects to play, don't hype up the backward compatibility that is only appertising to play the classics but you're remastering all the classics anyway lol - lazy and getting boring.

3. weedkilla

weedkilla XPG Weedkilla
    205/282

Chef
    Console:
    Playstation 4
    i did like the remastered versions of monkey island with voices and also flashback wanting to play the remastered grim fandango and hopefully ff8

4. Ro

Rocky Guest

I personally would like to see a Remaster Collection of the Modern Warfare Games ;)

5. Bu

Bullet Guest

I wouldnt mind playing COD 4 again, in my opinion that was certainly the best out of the lot. All the cods now have lost my interest, too much wall running and flying! The only time you should be able to fly on COD is when its been modded lol

6. AD

ADDZ Guest

100% how I feel, even though mods in COD4 were fun I'd like to have that one back legit PS4/XB1 only and see how fast we could rank up with gun on gun not future BS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJxhuCfSObU

Apr 22, 2009 when I 1st got my dazzle to record aha, the music was what was current in the charts like most of my old videos so I can reminisce easier

7. Nasyr

Nasyr The Nice One Lifetime Gold XPG Retired Staff
    185/188

Console:
    Xbox One
    I completely agree with you, in some areas. There are games I feel I have already played and a lot of things other games like to take from other games. I really wouldn't mind being able to play MW2 on the X1 but, if they remastered it with a new story and and such, I would be okay with that. If all they do is that because they tend to screw it up by making everything so modern and advanced and all we want is a bit of old time story to relive moments. Every game has a certain feel, hope they don't ruin it for all.

That also leads me to my second point. The new Call of Duties are terrible. There giving us all this futuristic stuff that no one really cares about. Is it cool? Of course. But.. It gets old very quick as we have no real connection with it. For games that they date back then we can connect to them as they go over certain wars or missions we had. With a little of an old feel. But things that are futuristic we cant connect to as it's not really there, we can't act like we have touched it before. Or even picture anything relative.

8. FreddyZVoorhees

FreddyZVoorhees Truth or happiness, never both. Lifetime Gold XPG Retired Staff
    135/188

Console:
    Xbox
    So far, I really enjoy the remasters, I bought Final Fantasy X on the PS2, bought it remastered on PS3, and now bought it again remastered on the PS4.

It's really nice to play the 'classics' or the games we really like on a next gen console.

But I do think that we shouldn't be prompted to pay the price of a completely new game, cause from my point of view, that's not what it is.

9. discovery55

discovery55 The One and Only.
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox One
    I'm still holding out for a HD remaster of E.T from the Atari 2600 on the current-gen consoles :p

10. AD

ADDZ Guest

Same!

:lmfao: you just got awarded the troll award my friend

11. discovery55

discovery55 The One and Only.
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox One
    Thank you, my friend!

12. reloadmydeagle

reloadmydeagle I LoVe GoldZ Lifetime Gold XPG Retired Staff
    135/188

Console:
    Xbox One
    I personally would love remakes on some games, wouldn't mind playing them again.
    I feel that the purpose of remakes is to bring dead classics back to popularity. Ex. CoD4 lost it's popularity now, but was great in the past. A remaster would bring it back into attention and make many more enjoy it again.

13. Mirax

Mirax XPG Junkie Lifetime Gold
    125/188

Console:
    Xbox One
    I don't mind a few remastered games, but i think what everybody is looking for is new games that use the new hardware to fullest! :)

14. Ro

Rocky Guest

Modern Warfare 2 FTW

15. bornbad

bornbad Lifetime Gold Lifetime Gold
    135/188

Console:
    Xbox One
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Would nt mind final fantasy 8 tho :)

16. Ro

Rocky Guest

:LOL:

Its gonna happen MW2 FTW and Final Fantasy 8 :GTFO: :troll: :devil:

17. Iamcoolz

Iamcoolz Forum Administrator Staff Member XPG Administrator
    205/282

Console:
    Xbox One
    The first remaster I ever played was Halo and that was a complete joke. I honestly am so used to these higher quality graphics that the older graphics on those games bore me.