Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced

seriousllama Oct 20, 2016

1. seriousllama

seriousllama Bring back XPG! Gold Subscriber
    10/47

Console:
    Playstation 4
    [​IMG]

After much speculation, teasing, and supposed domain registration issues, it turns out that Red Dead Redemption 2 is happening after all. For console users worldwide, this will be both a relief and a cause for major excitement; with the enormous impact of GTA V long since passed, gamers are starved for their Rockstar Games fix. We all remember the incredible gameplay of the earlier title; with the horse riding and superb gunslinging that was brought about by the Dead Eye mechanic, not to mention the incredible visuals and general bad-ass vibe. We are thirsty for more.

Recasting the sandbox, or open world, game in the heady days of the Old West, Red Dead Redemption took its cues from the classic Westerns of the New Hollywood era and its subsequent Golden Age, along with their distinctive soundtracks. The game was a slow-burner, recasting Rockstar as masters of nuance and restraint, and ramping up the vast desert landscapes that were seen on the GTA San Andreas title by hurling them back to an era with which they are more closely associated: the American West.

The announcement of a new title has got people salivating...

Simple, effective hype from Rockstar Games

On Sunday 16th October, Rockstar sent a tweet which caused tech and gaming sites across the world to lose their minds. The tweet, which saw the classic Rockstar insignia reimagined on a fiery, deep red backdrop, was correctly seen as an indication of a Red Dead release, and this was confirmed the following day by a Magnificent Seven-esque image of seven cowboys silhouetted against a vivid sunset. Where other publishers roll out their news across a gazillion platforms and inflict huge marketing events on the game-playing public, Rockstar was true to form - relying instead on subtlety, style and simplicity to get its message across. Over 100,000 retweets accompanied these simple images, setting the gaming sphere aflame in the process.

So, what do we know officially?

Unfortunately, not that much. We know that there will be an online multiplayer experience available and that there will be a trailer released on 20th October - this will no doubt cast a bit of light on speculation regarding the nature of the game. People are deep in conversation about whether the game will be a prequel or a sequel, fleshing out lead character John Marston's back story or elaborating on what he did next. It is also possible that Rockstar will employ similar tactics as in GTA V in allowing the player to control different characters with interlocking storylines. This is something that is at least hinted on in the official images.

Tell us more about the rumours

Someone has managed to leak the map that will be used for Red Dead 2, and it looks as enormous, interesting and varied as you'd expect. Expect expanses of water and desert, overlooks, dog ranches (weird), settlements, taverns and all the trappings of the lawless desert.

Whatever happens, come autumn 2017, we're in for a treat.

See the trailer here:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. Ro

Rocky Guest

Looking forward to this, I hope I play it more than the last one tho.

3. IH

IH8UALL Guest

I posted an article the other day about this. LOL

4. Th

TheFogFrog Rookie
    10/47

Console:
    Xbox One
    If this is as good as the last one I suppose I can kiss my final school year goodbye :(

5. Kefrus

Kefrus Rookie
    15/47

Console:
    Xbox One
    Cannot wait for this game

6. In

InstantGrad Rookie
    10/47

Console:
    Xbox One
    I enjoyed the first one so much.
    Hopefully the multiplayer in this still allows the same wacky things you were able to do in the first.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.