Mixer and Minecraft Team Up

Gr1zzy Oct 25, 2017

1. Gr

Gr1zzy Guest

[​IMG]

Mixer, the streaming service that you never really hear about, announced Monday that it has joined forces with the gaming industry giant Minecraft to advance the realm of interactive streaming.

In the newest Minecraft update (1.2.5 beta), Mixer has now “deeply-integrated” its stream broadcasting capability as well as its streaming interaction tools. What this means is that: 1. You can now easily start broadcasting Minecraft on Mixer using their menu integrated into the game itself (including on Android and iOS); and 2. You can now add Mixer interactivity to your stream “with just a few lines of code”; thus expanding this legendary sandbox game even further. Minecraft streamers can integrate any specific game command into a clickable menu for all of their stream watchers to control: spawning random creepers, detonating 50 TNT blocks, changing day to night; the possibilities are endless. Check it out:

This collaboration is another step forward in the recent progress that interactive streaming has made, most notably illustrated by Twitch Plays Pokemon, and it’s something I’m really excited about! Interactive streaming is a new realm of gaming modification that I think really moves the industry forward. It pushes the boundaries of ways that people can interact with each other through a game, and not just “interact” (if you can even call it that) with the game itself. This reminds me of the early days of online multiplayer, when I realized video games could be not just fruitless time-killing or inane button mashing -- but instead mediums of social influence and a platform for cultural growth!

But is it more fun to play or to watch? And what if you’re controlling the game as a spectator….who’s really playing and who’s watching….and who watches the watchers?

[​IMG]

Here is the official release where you can find out more information about the Mixer/Minecraft merger in general, as well as instructions on how to get started broadcasting your own interactive session.

What do you guys think about this collaboration? Have you had any experience with interactive streaming, either as a host or spectator? Let us know in the comments below!