Keyboard And Mouse Support Comes To PS4 Through Intricate Circuit Mod

ADDZ Apr 9, 2014

1. AD

ADDZ Guest

Keyboard And Mouse Support Comes To PS4 Through Intricate Circuit Mod

Keyboard and mouse support hasn't officially arrived on PS4 yet, but that didn't stop Frank Zhao of Eleccelerator from creating a customized circuit rig of his own. The story of development is quite long and boring for those without extensive technical knowledge, so why not just check out the proof video clip below? Essentially what you see is a customized circuit board that passes small amounts of data through the PS4's USB connection using a proxy. This obviously isn't something the layperson should attempt. The project was conducted to prove that it can be done in a few months time with a little elbow grease. Mister Zhao is already known for making similar adapters for PS3, but creating this hardware for PS4 presented more than enough unique challenges along the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3pQWy_6Gko

For those hoping to get a similar feature on their new Sony console, the company has currently suggested the trademark "not on day one" with regards to keyboard and mouse support. While it has never been officially confirmed, it's possible that support for these kinds of peripherals might come in a future firmware update. For those that want the development specifics,

Keyboard and Mouse for PlayStation 4 Games (second prototype)

Why did you do this?

I like playing shooter games on PC but my laptop is too weak to play them. Game consoles do not support USB keyboards and USB mouse, they only support gamepads. Gamepad controls are not suitable for shooter games, using a keyboard and mouse is much more comfortable for gameplay.

How does it work?

I designed a circuit that features a microcontroller and USB hub. The keyboard and mouse plugs into the USB hub, and then the microcontroller takes the data from the keyboard and mouse, translates them to the data format used by the PlayStation 4. It does the translation in a way as though the mouse was the right thumbstick, and the keys are mapped to buttons (the WASD keys are mapped to the left thumbstick).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Source: DashHacks