Is Fable Back??

Grizzy Jan 19, 2018

1. Grizzy

Grizzy Contributor
    55/94

[​IMG]

Almost two years ago Microsoft shut down the studio that originally produced the Fable franchise, including cancelling the nearly completed Fable Legends. But now it seems very likely that a new Fable game (an open-world RPG, not an asymmetrical co-op free-to-play) is in the works!

On Wednesday Eurogamer revealed that “work is underway on a brand new, big-budget Fable game,” and that UK based developer "Playground" will be in charge of the development. If Playground sounds familiar to you, it’s because they are the ones behind the Forza Horizon racing games.

So…why now? Why shut down the franchise and then revive it again 2 years later with a different studio? Well rumor has it that Xbox was inspired by the recent success of the PS4 exclusive Horizon Zero Dawn (a story-driven, single-player RPG that sold 3.4m copies), and they wanted to get a piece of the action -- and a new Fable could be just the right game to do that.

Another possibility for “why now” is that this could be a new start for an old game. Peter Molyneux the director of the original Fable games, often clashed with Microsoft and had “a reputation for issuing over-enthusiastic descriptions of games under development, which are found to be somewhat less ambitious when released.” So that 2 year break, and switch to a new studio could be the fresh start to breath new life into this classic franchise.

Microsoft said in a statement that it does not comment on rumour or speculation, so none of this is confirmed yet. But it seems plausible to me, and Playground definitely has what it takes to make a solid game -- so I’ll be following this closely as it develops!

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Deh Deh

Deh Deh Member
    25/47

Console:
    Xbox One
    lol Every Fable game I played,there's always a money glitch! Hopefully tho, they go with it and create a new fable game to add to the series.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Soldier117

Soldier117 Rookie
    10/47

Console:
    Xbox
    God I hope so. Not sure how I feel about Playground taking over the franchise but I'm definitely willing to give them a chance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. milldogtjm

milldogtjm TeamXPG For Life Lifetime Gold
    55/94

A Student of Gaming
    Console:
    Xbox One
    I hope a money glitch will be found in it; when it comes out.

• Funny Funny x 1