How to start editing a game and changing models??

Diogenes1 Aug 1, 2014

1. Diogenes1

Diogenes1 Newbie
    35/47

I´m new to modding and want to know where I start. How do I get access to the code and start applying models??

2. Tony B

Tony B Ťサ∑ ㄕ◊к∑㎡◊и Lifetime Gold
    185/188

Console:
    Xbox One
    What game?

3. Timmeh

Timmeh Trve Kvlt
    25/47

Drummer
    Console:
    Xbox
    Like iNfeCt said, if you specified which game you're looking to mod then you have a better chance of someone helping you ;)

4. XPGHerozHD

XPGHerozHD Member
    45/47

Console:
    Xbox
    His previous topic he was asking about changing models and such, and that was for watch dogs, I'm assuming but at all means this is just a guess, I'm pretty sure he is talking about watch dogs ;) ( just taking a guess )

5. Diogenes1

Diogenes1 Newbie
    0/47

Watch Dogs

6. Tony B

185/188

Console:
    Xbox One
    Alright, well what do you mean by changing models? Are you trying to edit the ISO?

7. Diogenes1

Diogenes1 Newbie
    0/47

Yes , I want to edit the ISO, what programs do you use to edit and then apply for testing?

8. Tony B

185/188

Console:
    Xbox One
    Alright, I'll help you to an extent, because I'm not familiar with XDG3 or watch dogs, but first thing you need is a clean ISO. You want to open that in a program like wx360 (http://gael360.free.fr/wx360.php) or Xbox Backup Creator (http://xbox-backup-creator.software.informer.com/) and extract the default.xex. This is so that you can replace it after you've finished doing what you do. (just do it :p)

Now, you're gonna have to find where the models are located. Me, I don't know where. If the models are in a strange format, best thing that you can do is find out how to edit that format.

I hope I helped you with the basic stuff. Sorry it's not much. :S

9. Diogenes1

Diogenes1 Newbie
    0/47

Thanks infect! It is a start and that is what is important! Now I can blame you for the next sleepless nights coming up haha thanks

10. Tony B

185/188

Console:
    Xbox One
    ;) No problem. If you have any more questions, I'll try to answer them to the best of my ability. Looking forward to seeing some great mods from you!

11. t3

t3fury Guest

this sort of thing was my background before XPG.

1st its worth mentioning that doing it on the 360 will be alot harder then the PC if its even possible that is, i haven't really looked at the files as i don't do this type of modding now but the models and textures will more then likely be double packed on the 360.

If i had to guess i'd say they would be inside the windy_city.dat file so 1st you will need to find a way to extract that.

2nd you need to know your limitations if your talking about custom model so if your new to this you will need to get a rough idea what the poly count of the model you want to replace so you don't over do it and break your game.

these are just a few pointers to get you started, like i said if its possible it will be hard on the 360, take all the resident evil games for example they are all easy to mod/model swap on the PC but you can only really HEX edit a few of them on the xbox

Hope this helps t3 ;)

12. Diogenes1

Diogenes1 Newbie
    0/47

Thank you T3, I will start and see what I can come up with. Nothing better then a challenge and expecially if it involves modding :) thanks for the help

13. CRACKbomber

CRACKbomber Resident Xbox Guru XPG Developer
    25/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Adding on to what t3 said, the models are probably going to be different. It won't be an inject and play situation. A number of things could be different.
    • Endienesse (Little -> Big)
    • Compression (XCompress)
    • Completely different format
    Unless you know how the engine processes models and or how models are stored, then this is going to be a rather cumbersome task. Anyways best of luck!

14. james2452

james2452 Member
    35/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Some games are easy if its in english. I use hex editor and keep stuff the same size ie : BIKE to TANK or JEEP (its the same amount of letters and will not freeze your game)
    It can freeze other people game if you add a tank to a level a tank should not be on on Call of duty..