How to fix red ring of death easily tutorial

Bullet Sep 16, 2011

1. Bu

Bullet Guest

Ok so heres my tut on how to reflow an xbox360 the safe and easy way.

Things you will need....

* An old xbox360 chassis
    * A drill with 5mm metal bit
    * x8 20mm M5 bolts
    * x16 M5 nuts
    * A Heatgun (mines 2000w)

Ok so first we are going to make a jig. I find using an old xbox360 chassis works best for a few reasons.
    Firstly the holes are already aligned perfectly. Also it is raised around 60mm from any wor surface allowing blasts of heat from underneath or if you wanted to do an oven reflow its also perfect for this.

Right we need to drill out the holes where the heatsink studs go through the chassis. So using our 5mm drill we are going to literally just bore the holes out to 5mm see picture below.

[​IMG]
    In this image i have already put in x6 of my 20mm bolts.

In the image below you can see the jig from underneath i have put all eight bolts through and put on nut on each bolt to hold them in the holes. These also act as spacers for the motherboard.
    [​IMG]

Ok so now that out Jig has X8 bolts through our drilled holes with a nut on each bolt holding them in place thats our jig ready. Its worth mentioning at this point not to tighten the nuts right up otherwise you will find it difficult to gently slot your motherboard over the bolts!

Im going to assume by now that you have stripped down your xbox360 , removed the heatsinks, cleaned away the old heatpaste so your chips are like mirrors!

So we are now ready to bolt our motherboards to the jig we made. Gently Place the motherboard over the bolts , this may take a little gentle persuasion. Once the motherboard is seated over the bolts take the other x8 nuts you have left and firmly finger tighten the motherboard to the jig. This is important to stop the motherboard from warping.

[​IMG]

Ok now the motherboard is fimrly bolted down place your jig on a work surface where it will not be disturbed or knocked.
    Now take your heatgun and holding it about 20cm away from the board gently blast with heat in a kind of left to right motion making sure not to focus heat in one spot . The idea is to warm the board up until its hot to the touch.

Now that the motherboard is hot Its time to heat the chips. The GPU chipset are the ones with x2 chips . Take you heatgun and on full heat hold it about 25mm away from the chips and heat for around 30-40 seconds using a small circular movement. Do not just hold it still. Make sure to use small circular movements.
    Rinse and repeat for the cpu chipset although not essential in most cases.

[​IMG]

Ok Now gently cool the motherboard. The best method for this is to gently blast with heat in a left to right motion until its cool. Be careful not to knock or move the jig during this whole process.

After the motherboard is totaly cooled , repaste and refit your heatsinks & ENJOY!

If anyone would like tutorials on actually removing the heatsinks / pasting the chips / and refitting the x-clamps using a replacement method then please post and i will make one.
    Hope this helps until i can do my video tut.

Created for XPGamesaves.com , if used anywhere else please give credits .

2. XPG Paddy

XPG Paddy FTP Staff Lifetime Gold
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Nice tut Man :) Please May u make a tut on how to remove the x clamps with a spoon ;)

3. gold972

gold972 团队XPG影响 Effect XPG Developer TeamXPG
    205/282

Console:
    Xbox
    nice tuts bullet ;)

[​IMG]

4. XPG Paddy

XPG Paddy FTP Staff Lifetime Gold
    185/188

Console:
    Xbox
    Just did mine Just gotta order some bolts now then im all set :)

[​IMG]

5. crek724

crek724 Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    nice tut bullet im probably goin to get a heat gun to try this out becuase my personal xenon got the red ring atleast i got my falcon too!

6. Bu

Bullet Guest

Paddy thats spot on...

XPGHost3r if you want me to reflow your jtag back to life , send me a pm...