Halo 5: Guardians Gets Advanced Controller Settings This Week

Heavy Smoker Dec 15, 2015

1. Heavy Smoker

Heavy Smoker Battlefield Junkie XPG Retired Staff
    205/282

Console:
    Xbox
    [​IMG]
    This week’s Halo 5: Guardians content update will introduce advanced controller settings, in addition to the long-awaited Forge mode, new maps, skins, REQs and armour.​
    As detailed on Halo Waypoint, the Cartographer’s Gift update will allow users to adjust their controller stick’s look acceleration, as well as its inner and outer dead zone settings.​
    “Look Acceleration adjusts the time it takes to hit max look speed when you peg (apply 100% input in any direction) the look stick,” explains 343 Industries. “The higher the setting, the quicker you will reach top speed, and the lower the setting, the longer it takes to reach top speed.”​
    343i adds that Halo 5 currently defaults to a setting of 3, while the beta was set to 2. After the update you’ll be able to take those values above or below those values, depending on your preference.​
    “The Inner Dead Zone refers to a small region around the analog stick’s center position where we disregard input,” continued 343i. “Inner Dead Zone is used to prevent drift (camera movement when you aren’t applying any input to the look stick).​
    “This is caused because the analog sticks do not always return perfectly to center for a variety of reasons (manufacturing tolerances, wear and tear on the controller, etc). Note that the default we use here aligns with the platform recommended value and is what past Halo games have also used.”​
    In order to fine tune your dead zone preferences perfectly, 343i advises that you turn inner dead zone down to 0%. In a game when you release the stick, if you notice drifting then you’re gonna wanna increase the dead zone size. Rinse and repeat until you get it just right for your individual controller.​
    “The Outer Dead Zone allows you to adjust the point at which the analog stick registers as hitting 100% input,” continued 343i. “Outer Dead Zone is used to prevent slow turn (when you are applying 100% input on the look stick but not reaching top look speed). The larger the Outer Dead Zone, the sooner you will hit 100%.”​
    As for the recommended tuning process for outer dead zone, 343i says: “Try turning the Outer Dead Zone down to 0% and test if you run into cases where you can’t hit the ‘pegged state’ and encounter slow turn. If you do get slow turn, increase it a bit more and try again.​
    “Note that the majority of cases we found where people were encountering slowturn were somewhat hard to discover as the problem tended to be inconsistent and were often happening only when clenching, torqueing, or rotating the analog stick around the edges a tad. So you might need to experiment with this one a tad more before settling on the proper setting.”​
    The main event of the Cartographer’s Gift update is, of course, Forge Mode. This time out the map making tool is being touted as the biggest, most detailed yet, with over 1,700 items. You can find more on that here. Also included in the content update are new Arena and Warzone maps, Seasons and social playlists, new REQs and more.​
    [​IMG]