flashing an XBOX 360 for beginners

ToxicGas Jun 21, 2015

1. ToxicGas

ToxicGas Certified Developer Lifetime Gold XPG Retired Staff
    185/188

Console:
    Computer
    Learn basic information you need to hack/ flash your Xbox 360 to play burnt games on Xbox 360.

OP:Written by Carson

FLASHING THE DVD DRIVE FAQ

Q: What does having "Hacked Firmware" let me do?
    A: All it does is modify your DVD drive's firmware to allow it to play burnt (backup) games. The newest version is iXtreme 1.61

Q: What tutorial should I use?
    A: Look in this section!

Q: Can I still play Xbox Live?
    A: Yes, but see Question below

Q: Will I get banned from Xbox Live?
    A: There is always a chance you will get banned. Microsoft usually has about 2 ban waves a year, when they discover new methods to detect backup games. However, if you stay up to date with the latest firmware, you should be fine. Don't let this scare you though, you probably won't get banned.

Q: What if I figure out they are banning, and flash my firmware back to the original before I go online?
    A: Let's say Microsoft has found a way to detect iXtreme 1.61. They would start collecting logs immediately looking for people that they detected, and flag the account. When the fall updates comes around, they would ban all those flagged accounts. Flashing it back would be futile, since they already have logs of you playing burnt games. This is all assuming that they found a way to detect it.

Q: What if I only play backups offline, and legit games online?
    A: It doesn't matter. When you play the game, the 360 logs all the info. It would send the info to Microsoft as soon as you logged into Live.

Q: Do I have to open my 360?
    A: Yes. There are tutorials everywhere, try YouTube.

Q: What all do I need to do it?
    A: It depends on what kind of DVD drive you have. To find that out, you'll need to open your 360. Click here to find out what type of DVD Drive you have.

If you have a:
    Hitachi= No SATA Card
    BenQ= SATA Card
    Samsung= SATA Card
    LiteOn= Xecuter Connectivity Kit with Probe (No SATA Card)

Again, DO NOT forget the Probe. It is needed to flash the LiteOn.

Q: Will it void my warranty?

A: Yes. Unless you save the sticker (Heat it up using a hair drier and peel it off). When you send it to the repair center, they do NOT check the DVD Drive for hacked firmware. I have sent in 5+ flashed 360's. If you are paranoid, just flash it back. I even sent in my 360 without a warranty sticker and they sent me a fixed one back.

Q: Can I still play original games?
    A: Yes.

Q: Can I download updates for Games?
    A: Yes. Your burnt copy is an exact replica of the original.

Q: Is it hard?
    A: In my opinion, no. If you can follow directions, then you shouldn't have any problems. It should take you like an hour your first time.

Q: Can I mess up my 360 doing this?
    A: You have to try pretty hard to break it. For example, erasing the keys from your drive and not having them backed up. But once again, don't let this worry you. Like I said, almost no one breaks their 360 flashing it.

Q: Should I buy this "Blaster 360" thing?
    A: No. It is a waste of $80. All it does is make it so you won't have to open your 360 next time you want to update firmware, if you have a compatible drive.

Q: How often do I have to update my firmware to stay safe?
    A: Personally, I'd update every time an update is released, just to stay safe. I'm gonna estimate you will need to update maybe... 3 times a year? But once you do it a few times, it will be really easy.

BACKING UP AND BURNING GAMES FAQ

Q: What kind of DVD's do I need to burn games?
    A: The Xbox 360 can ONLY read DVD+DL (Dual Layer) discs for games. The best kind is Verbatim. Most others won't work or will die eventually. Might as well spend a few extra dollars to get Verbatim anyways, because you know they will work and last longer. You will also need a DVD+DL Burner, which is standard nowadays.

Q: Now that my NTSC Xbox 360 is flashed, can I play PAL games?
    A: Nope, still region locked. It isn't a problem though, because you can always find downloads for both released at about the same time. For those who don't know, NTSC-U is America, PAL is Europe, NTSC-J is Japan. This is just a broad list, but you can click the links to see more specific regions.

Q: I downloaded a game, and now I have a bunch of .RAR files. Now what?
    A: Download WinRAR and install it. Now, right click on any of the files and click "Extract Here".

Q: Ok, I have a .ISO and a .DVD file. What now?
    A: This is easy. You can use tons of programs, but CloneCD is the easiest. All you have to do is download CloneCD, Select "Burn Image", Select the .DVD file, select 2x-2.4x speed, and click Burn. It's that easy. If you don't want to spend the money on CloneCD, you can use ImgBurn.

Q: Do I need to check my ISO's before I burn them?
    A: No. I own over 50 backups, and I rarely use AGBX. As long as you are on iXtreme 1.6, you don't need to worry at all. But many people like to be safe. download ABGX. It is pretty simple, just load your .ISO file and click "Launch".

Q: What is ABGX anyways?
    A: ABGX is a tool written by Seacrest to check .ISO files. It is very simple to use. To keep it simple, it makes sure everything is right with the game you downloaded.

Q: If a game is leaked early, can I play it or will I get banned?
    A: No, you won't. No one ever has been banned for this. I have played so many games weeks before their release date, and have never been banned.

Q: But dude, I ran the .ISO through ABGX and it isn't verified!
    A: I've said it once, I'll say it a million times. WHO CARES WHAT ABGX SAYS! Of course the game isn't verified, it isn't released yet! I see a ton of threads with people saying "No way I'm burning this game, it isn't verified". It really does not matter if it isn't verified, quit being a pansy. All games released nowadays are perfectly fine to just burn and play without a problem. I have NEVER used ABGX before I burnt a game.

Q: But dude, I'm still scared of getting banned!
    A: Grow a pair. When you flash your firmware you are taking the risk of being banned.

2. Tony B

Tony B Ťサ∑ ㄕ◊к∑㎡◊и Lifetime Gold
    185/188

Console:
    Xbox One
    You actually can and people have been banned for playing the game online. Just stay offline if you decide to play it.

3. ToxicGas

ToxicGas Certified Developer Lifetime Gold XPG Retired Staff
    460/564

Console:
    Computer
    Yea it all depends whether you play it offline or online. If you play it online yes you will be banned. If you play it offline no you wont.

4. Ro

Rocky Guest

Great share ;)

5. Tony B

Tony B Ťサ∑ ㄕ◊к∑㎡◊и Lifetime Gold
    185/188

Console:
    Xbox One
    Yup, just something I thought I'd point out. Great post otherwise! ;)