Fallout 4: My Top 5 Mods for Improving Game Experience

Grizzy Dec 29, 2017

1. Grizzy

Grizzy Contributor
    115/188

[​IMG]

There isn't a single game that everyone can agree is perfect. There’s always room for improvement whether it be with the gameplay, graphics, audio, or story line. And while developers continuously provide updates and DLC’s, there will always be something to improve on, and the desire to make it completely your own. This is when the mods come in.

Mods made such a huge impact in the gaming industry, and because of this, more and more developers are considering their games' moddability when designing new ones -- and no games are as quintessentially mod-ready as Bethesda titles.

The mod list I’ve chosen here has the potential to make the vanilla Fallout 4 experience even more fun, immersive, and full of captivating story lines.

Here are 5 easy to install (and easy on your hard drive) mods for Fallout 4 that will take your gaming experience to the next level. These mods are in no particular order, and I suggest you install all of them if you can, as they complement each other.

All are available through Nexus and Bethesda (except “Start me up”, which I provide an alternative for)

Make Fallout 4 your idea of the "perfect" game, one mod at a time. Let us know in the comments which mods YOU use to make Fallout 4 perfect.

• PIP-Pad
    This is a complete overhaul of your traditional Pip-Boy, and one that I like much better than most! If you didn’t know, the “Pip” in Pip-Boy stands for “Personal Information Processor”, and its an electronic device made by RobCo Industries. It shows everything you need to know about your information and experience of the post-apocalyptic world that you live in.

Now, instead of having it around your arm, it becomes a tablet looking device with a friendly user interface. It looks awesome, and adds a whole ‘nother layer of retro-futurism to the game. It reminds me of the tablet Penny had in those old Inspector Gadget cartoons. Don’t have any idea what im talking about? Check out the video!

www.nexusmods.com: PIP-Pad at Fallout 4 Nexus - Mods and community

Bethesda.net

• Start me up (no longer available via Bethesda… grrrrr......alternative below)
    There are a lot of alternate-start mods out there for Fallout 4, but this one is my favorite. It’s simple, easy, and just what you need if you want to try out a new, completely different beginning -- or if you just want to skip the long intro/cutscenes. It’s really great for RPG players like myself who constantly want to try out different playstyles and character designs (even if I do end up wearing a helmet the entire game…)

If you want to start anew, Start Me Up can give you what you need. You won’t be waking up as the parent of Shaun, but instead as a custom character with a custom backstory.

Features include starting with up to 20 traits, special stats, choosing your start location, choosing your occupation and more -- OR you can roll the dice and totally randomize it! You can also modify the level you start from!

This mod will be your new best friend when you’re trying out new builds or are simply bored.

www.nexusmods.com: Start Me Up - Alternate Start and Dialogue Overhaul at Fallout 4 Nexus - Mods and community

Bethesda.net

• Sim Settlements

If you’re not the architectural type, get your settlers to do the work for you! Instead of doing it yourself, this mod allows you to build zone areas where you want different parts of your settlement to be. Then, settlers will do the job for you, and you can get back to more important things like getting lost in the Glowing Sea.

But wait! There's more! The mod offers so much more than just auto-building. It has a progression system, building upgrades, gives settlers different backgrounds, and adds cool rewards that make everything more interesting. The developers of this mod are awesome, and it’s continuously updated with new content!

www.nexusmods.com: Sim Settlements at Fallout 4 Nexus - Mods and community

Bethesda.net

• Unique Uniques

We can’t help but feel disappointed when we’ve spent hours grinding for that legendary weapon, only to find out there’s nothing really special about it... A unique weapon or item should at least have something unique about it right? Well that’s not really the case with the vanilla game, and that is why this mod should be in your load order.

Not only will this mod give every legendary weapon a unique appearance, it also gives them new effects. With the latest update, there are currently over 30 new unique weapons for you to hunt. Some of them are legendary weapons modded with new effects.

www.nexusmods.com: Unique Uniques - Unique Weapons Redone at Fallout 4 Nexus - Mods and community

Bethesda.net

• Heather Casdin

From the author that brought you the most popular companion mod in New Vegas, comes yet another amazing companion mod that will take you on a wild ride. Unlike other companions, Heather Casdin is a complex and story-driven character. This mod contains over 1,200 brand new voice lines of dialogue and audio, as well as new quests.

This companion mod is also better than most because it contains features that the vanilla companions aren’t capable of. For example, Heather will stay where you want her to, she has a few combat styles that you can modify in her dialogue menu, and my favorite: she is capable of healing herself when wounded or crippled in battle.

www.nexusmods.com: Heather Casdin - A Unique Companion Experience by llamaRCA at Fallout 4 Nexus - Mods and community

Bethesda.net

I hope you guys like this list! Let us know which Fallout 4 mods you're running to help improve your overall wasteland experience.

Also, if you need any help installing these mods (or any other mods), don’t be afraid to ask the XPGS community for help. Lots of friendly people here!