Fail0verflow PS4 Hack Wont Support Piracy

Bullet Dec 31, 2015

1. Bu

Bullet Guest

There has been a lot of hype about the PS4 hack by Fail0verflow, and rightly so... its a massive milestone in the next gen console hacking scene.
    While a lot of people are thinking about homebrew applications and how they can be implemented, there is always those that straight away think about Piracy, there are those that just assume that a Jailbreak = free games and or profit.

The modding scene has changed a lot in the several years that I have been involved in it, and I have defiantly seen a trend towards the 'Mods = profit' mentality.
    It was refreshing today to see that Fail0verflow released a statement with their stance on the whole PS4 hacking and piracy situation.

Marcan made his viewpoint on piracy and his aims with the hacking of the PS4 abundantly clear in a recent blog post which can be read in full here.
    Marcan went on to say that since their involvements with the Wii "drove the entire homebrew community, from exploits to libraries to infrastructure" in a bid to create a more involved and productive community. He also noted that "the people interested in game piracy were always riding on the coattails of homebrew since relatively early on, and greatly benefited from it."

The PS3 scene was totally different from that of the Wii, this was the rise of the 'Pay n Play' modding scene. At the time of the PS3 being exploited the Xbox 360 scene was also kicking off.
    As with any new Jailbreak or major hacking of a console, at the start there are limited numbers of people with the means or ability to perform the mods. This creates a need that must be filled among the rest of the community and therefore because a case of supply and demand.

Failoverfl0w noted also that the PS3 was suffering from the same issues as the Xbox 360 scene. Marcan says "we tried releasing the exploits and letting others sort out the community. The result was that, for all practical purposes, the only users were those interested in piracy."

The Wii U modding community began with interest in Linux support and quickly become all about the piracy. This has led the Fail0verflow team to approach the hacking of the PS4 with a slightly different approach.
    Due to the simplicity of the PS4 security, the fact that the operating system is based on FreBSD and that the browser uses WebKit, which are both open source, finding exploits is relatively easy according to the team.

"All you need to chain into a Linux loader. However, as we found out, even though the hardware is certainly similar to a PC, it is not a PC, and Linux needs quite a bit of extra work to get running. Thus, we can add more value to the homebrew ecosystem by helping port Linux than by releasing exploits."

Fail0verflow are trying to distance themselves from the piracy and online cheating, remove themselves from the negative side of modding. In a bid to drum up interest in the running of Linux on the PS4 instead of encouraging the reverse engineering of the original software, the team hope that they will not be helping the piracy aspect at all.

This does not mean we will not see homebrew on the console, this means hopefully the modding community can come together for something other than god mode online, lobbies and profit.

Kudos to the whole of Fail0verflow...

2. tr

trainee 2 Newbie
    20/47

Console:
    Xbox One
    i know a few members just going to be happy if they can get nudity mods lol
    piracy going to be hard theres a lot of safety checks now
    But the possibility of modding games and making some of the crap thats came out playable could be fun

3. axess2016

axess2016 Rookie BANNED
    20/47

I honestly couldn't give a rat's posterior about THE SITE THAT CANNOT BE MENTIONED FOR LEGAL REASONS games these days. Games come down in price so fast that it's not really needed, IMO.

Just let me mod my saves! I am seriously jonesing for a Mega Mule for Dark Souls 2 on my PS4! I need the revenge!

(And no, I don't ever use mule saves online.)