EA Origin going digital only

Bullet Mar 31, 2014

1. Bu

Bullet Guest

Electronic Arts' Origin distribution platform will phase out physical media entirely on April 4.
    Origin was established in 2011 to address the PC and Mac gaming market dominated by Valve's Steam platform. EA's focus for Origin has always been on digital products, but until now it also sold boxed games.
    According to a post on the Origin site, 99 per cent of the service's customers only ever buy digital products, but for the remaining 1 per cent, "Origin won't be able to fulfil that need [for boxed games]."
    "Digital is fast and convenient. Origin's focus is to give gamers the best experience, and going all-digital will make that possible."
    So is this a trend that most companies will follow, and if so will the savings of ditching physical media be passed along to the consumer?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  2. Dj

Djjw Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    It's a rip off. You buy a digital game for the same price as a disc. So you can not sell it after you complete it and your stuck with a multiplayer online game what was the same as the last one. Rip to ea if this comes my way!!!

3. Bu

Bullet Guest

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Djjw" data-time="1396301606">
    <div>
    It's a rip off. You buy a digital game for the same price as a disc. So you can not sell it after you complete it and your stuck with a multiplayer online game what was the same as the last one. Rip to ea if this comes my way!!!
    </div>
    </blockquote>

My theory is that all consoles will eventually end up as streaming devices. You will be able to rent the games as well as buy them maybe..