Down right bad idea IMO

Wallsch May 27, 2014

1. Wallsch

Wallsch Gold Member Gold Subscriber Lifetime Gold
    0/47

Console:
    Computer
    So lately I log into XPG to see whats going on as I'm always lurking in the background I see a topic that somewhat interests me. I click it.

"Hidden Content, You will be able to see the hidden content once you reply to this topic."

Then I think to myself guess I'll never know(or look elsewhere) I understand the idea of this and it looks good on paper. But it's a horrible idea all in all.

It's like putting a dollar into the soda machine before you even know what flavors it has or if it even has any.

It also promotes spam which I thought was something this site was against. What am I going to say about content I can't see. "Hello I would really like to see the content and this is a useless post."

I don't know this is the only true complaint I have had about this website ever. I think it's horrible and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I think there are solutions to the issues this tried to fix and this is not it. Rant Over.

2. losparo

losparo Moderator Staff Member XPG Moderator TeamXPG
    380/564

Console:
    Playstation 4
    I dont agree with you analogy, the only thing that is hidden is the download link. So you would in fact be able to see all the flavors of soda, just not able to taste them before purchasing. In all seriousness im not sure how it will play out. Its amazing to see how many people just want to leech and not be part of the community, i never seen so many users here for years with 0 posts.

3. Wallsch

Wallsch Gold Member Gold Subscriber Lifetime Gold
    185/188

Console:
    Computer
    Untrue. Here is an example. No downloads there I wouldn't think. At any rate I don't think it's a good way of doing things period. Would be better off having a post to download ratio. Every 10 posts you can download something. That would have the same effect with less spam and more work required.

4. losparo

losparo Moderator Staff Member XPG Moderator TeamXPG
    380/564

Console:
    Playstation 4
    I see what you mean there. B/addz/rocky had added it so all gold members need not reply and can see hidden content. There are always better ways of doing things, Im sure B will be receptive to hear other solutions. In reality though, aside from users just posting garbage to see hidden content, it only takes 2 seconds to say thanks to see what you would otherwise need to go search for on another site, if its available elsewhere

5. Aa

Aaron 0x539
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Looks like my post count's gonna sky rocket.

6. xACHILLIESx

xACHILLIESx Member
    25/47

Console:
    Xbox One
    very true people need to contribute in one way or another.
    the only problem with your idea is all they have to do is comment. I would be more agree able to the liking someone' post Iidea rather than just commenting. Because you don't know Iif there comment was actually beneficial to someone needing help which is what this site is about. And in all honesty this site gives a lot for nothing. So helping the site out really should only be an issue to leechers who expect to get something for nothing.

7. mOnolith

mOnolith Rookie
    20/47

Console:
    Xbox
    my two cents...i dont mind really..its the least i can do for free things,that have been worked hard on, and actually let me play games i prolly would have deleted because of stupid game design....but i do see the ops point tho...

8. Dylandy05

Dylandy05 The Blue Waffle Power Ranger Lifetime Gold
    125/188

Console:
    Playstation 4
    I think its a good thing its there only takes 2 seconds to say thank you and people dint it encourages people to post and get more active

9. Deeked

Deeked 3 Percenter Gold Subscriber
    35/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Hate digging up old stuff, but I don't like it because the threads are now filled full of 1 to 5 word one liners saying thanks and nothing else. No conversation, just a ton of spam. It makes the topics boring and dull.

Don't hate on me. I'm just sayin. :why:

10. Iamcoolz

Iamcoolz Forum Administrator Staff Member XPG Administrator
    205/282

Console:
    Xbox One
    Also, something to keep in mind. When your post goes into a hidden content mode, while it boosts member registrations, it CAN sometimes kill key searches in Google. Also what Deeked said, it literally just causes spam upon spam. While it is a good idea, I believe if a member uses it, to ONLY use it for a link, Bullet you should be able to code it to where it only allows the URL tags. I would suggest that instead.

11. XPGHerozHD

XPGHerozHD Member
    45/47

Console:
    Xbox
    I think that is a good idea to keep the hidden content a part of the site because new members are wanting to look for mods, if they look for mods they are going to see the downloads and download them and never come back after the get what they want, after they start saying thanks and getting more active people will start liking there posts because they are saying thank you, and getting a liked post makes them want to stay and get more active, so really it comes down to no hidden content code = a lot of more inactive members/on the other hand, a hidden content code = more active members which will boost the site population. So that's why it's a good idea for people to be using the hidden content code, it's not just good for there rep, it's good to keep the site active. ;)

12. Nasyr

Nasyr The Nice One Lifetime Gold XPG Retired Staff
    185/188

Console:
    Xbox One
    I can agree that it gets a little frustrating after awhile, but would I remove it? No. I feel like this feature is almost needed, in some way or another. It protects the content from just being taken without actually participating in the community. I look at spam as being "dklfjsdlfkj" not actual words. A simple thanks then a free download is almost generous, you can say. Making people post 10 times before another download is even worst then posting once saying a simple thanks. That would create more spam then the spammers create themselves. Losparo is correct in many points about it actually helping the community. A guest could easily come to the site, get a mega link and go download and not even need to sign up. None the less, this hidden content code is a valuable part of the site and keeps it interesting for the moderators to moderate.

13. XxStarzxX

XxStarzxX Banned! BANNED
    205/282

Console:
    Xbox One
    Not going to write anything big but I agree and also you have a minimum of something like 4 "likes" before having to wait a period of time before likeing other content that you want to see/download.

14. KillerVidz

KillerVidz Rocky BANNED
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox One
    I prefer it as a Like to see content, so your content isnt a waste

15. StarkillerAkatsuki

StarkillerAkatsuki Official Self-Deprecating Noob
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Maybe we should do a poll, the majority's opinion would be applied.

Though i don't know the admin's thoughts, and that is entirely all up to them.

16. fo

fob Newbie
    0/47

yeh i agree its kinda stupid