Review 5 Things That Pleasantly Surprised Us About Resident Evil 7

Jonny Weston Jan 25, 2017

1. Jo

Jonny Weston Guest

Our review for Resident Evil 7 will be published tomorrow. Meanwhile, we're sitting here a bit shocked by what Capcom managed to pull off with its latest game. Sure, there was some hype leading up to release, but we've become so used to Resident Evil being just "okay" that we were convinced there was no way we'd walk away impressed. Well, we were wrong.

There are five areas in particular where Resident Evil has pleasantly surprised us. Let's talk about them.

[​IMG]

1. It's Actually Scary

When I was a kid I completed Silent Hill, Clock Tower, Resident Evil, and Alone in the Dark among other great horror games. Almost 20 years later I'd say I'm a tough cookie when it comes to handling virtual scares. More recently I've become particularly resilient after playing horror games in virtual reality.

Even then, I've found that Resident Evil 7 is not to be messed with. Maybe it's the chase sequences, or the disturbing audio design. The enemies are horrifying to look at, which certainly plays a part. It's difficult to pinpoint why exactly the game is as scary as it is, but going two hours without taking a break is exhausting on the senses—in a good way.

Not only is Resident Evil 7 scary, but violent. Within the first couple hours unspeakable horrors happen that left us grimacing. Capcom wanted to make a lasting impression, and it did. Isn't that the point of horror, after all? Yes it is.

2. Characters To Care About

Resident Evil 7's pacing and setup is conducive to driving interest from the player. Early on we found ourselves captivated by the house and its bizarre secrets. As we were introduced to its inhabitants we wanted to know more about what their motives were, and why they were as strange as they were.

[​IMG]

We would find that this sense of intrigue wouldn't deteriorate over time like with a lot of similar games. Although there are hiccups in the later hours, Resident Evil 7 remains an interesting game throughout. We genuinely wanted to see the ending, and learn once and for all what happens to both its good and evil characters.

3. Combat Feels Great

Given that there has never before been a first-person Resident Evil game, we were certain that combat was going to be infrequent and clunky in Resident Evil 7. That simply isn't the case.

Using each of the weapons in the game to fight its monstrous enemies is of no issue; swiping with a sharp knife or firing a powerful shotgun feels great in the hands. Capcom did an incredible job in the gameplay department, everything from how the protagonist walks to how the camera moves. You can even see him place his hand on wall corners as he goes around them. The sense of realism is incredible.

This all bodes well for the game's moments of climax, where for a lot of similar games is a point of shortcoming. We found that the big battles were actually some of its best moments, something we wouldn't necessarily say about any other Resident Evil game.

4. Resident Evil Resurrection

No, not the movie.

Resident Evil 7 is built with a very similar design philosophy as the original Resident Evil. The similarities are staggering, actually. As usual, you're trapped in an unusually quiet and creepy house. You spend a great deal of your time searching for key items to complete puzzles and open doors. The presentation and atmosphere is almost identical, as is the pacing.

[​IMG]

For older gamers like myself who played the original, it's a neat move by Capcom that manages to evoke nostalgia during a playthrough while also deviating from modern design conventions. Meanwhile, players unfamiliar with the classic game can get an idea of what made it such an beloved experience.

5. It's Actually Good

It's been a long time since Resident Evil 4 came out. Since then the franchise has routinely proven itself to be forgettable, a sad outcome for a historically significant franchise.

Resident Evil 7 has put the series back on the map. Generally speaking, gamers and critics alike are talking about the game in a positive light. Given Capcom's recent financial woes, this success couldn't have come at a better time. You might as well say that we're excited for what's to come next for Resident Evil. Now if only the movies can follow suit...

Source: Game Revolution

2. Rickie H

Rickie H Rookie
    20/47

Pirate king
    Console:
    Xbox One
    Never played any of resident evil games before but this look like one I'll definitely check out. Will be looking forward to the review tomorrow