5 Best PC Games of 2017

Grizzy Jan 3, 2018

1. Grizzy

Grizzy Contributor
    5/47

[​IMG]

2017 has been one heck of a year for PC gamers. However, among thousands of games released, a few really stood out to me. From mind-boggling puzzle games to action-packed shoot outs, here are the 5 few that I’d deem the “best”.

For this list, I tried to choose games that I not only logged many enjoyable hours on, but also those that really excelled within their genre. All of these titles pushed the boundaries of video games-- while also being really fun to play!

PlayerUknown’s BattleGrounds

For our First-Person-Shooter, we believe PUBG stood out among the many that was released in 2017. A few of them came close however, such as Wolfenstien II: The New Colossus and Call of Duty WWII.

PlayerUnknown's BattleGrounds is a last-man-standing shoot out. What makes this game special isn't the graphics or the lootboxes, but the unpredictable mayhem that online sandbox shooters creates. You start with nothing but your wits, hunting and scavenging for weapons and supplies in an eight square kilometer island. Kill all of your opponents and end up the lone survivor and you win! The game is new, it’s not well optimized (insanely CPU-hungry), and it’s pretty buggy -- but the rush you get when you win is hard to both ignore and to compare to other titles.

You should take note however; the game might not be for the easily offended as it may contain foul language…not from the game itself mind you, but from your fellow players. If you enjoy a little banter every now and then, a little trash talk, a little chaotic and frenetic online FPS action, then this game would be a good addition to your library. Just as of yesterday it hit the milestone of 3 million concurrent players on Steam, so you'll have plenty of company

Cuphead

Inspired by 1930’s cartoons, Cuphead brings us a classic run-and-gun arcade game where you shoot your way to a boss-fight. While doing so, you get to enjoy some classical jazz (originally composed and super authentic) synergizing with its 30’s cartoon aesthetic (also original, hand drawn and colored, and similarly super authentic).

Cuphead is a 2D platform game where you get to play as either Cuphead or Mugman. It has a single player mode and also local co-op. The game progresses by discovering new moves, acquiring new powers, and unraveling hidden secrets. It’s definitely the the Dark Souls of side scrolling games this year -- an analogy that is used a lot, but is very accurate in this case.

You’re going to need to make a deal with the devil to beat this game.

Divinity: Original Sin II

Reviewed by many game critics and ranked as one of the best, it would be a crime if we didn’t put this award-winning RPG on the list. It is a turn-based RPG, very similar to the cult classic Baldur’s Gate. That being said, expect long hours of adventure with its story-driven characters and its D&D-inspired world that is Rivellon.

The game lets you play either solo or up to a maximum four-person party. You get to explore dungeons, meet warriors, interact with or even BE strange creatures -- you know, classic RPG stuff. But what’s really so great about this game is how it starts with these classic elements, but then allows you to customize the totality of your RPG experience in so many wondrous ways. You can go anywhere, talk to everyone, and interact with everything. Even the character creation has an unbelievable about of freedom.

This Steam review sums up the difference between many RPGs and Divinity: Original Sin II:

"I play 'The Witcher' to experience another's fantasy adventures.
    I play 'Divinity: Original Sin' to make my own fantasy adventures."

Or this one:

"Only 8 hours in.... I seriously wish that a single day was 10.000+ hours long, so I could just play this for a very long time without having to think about other responsibilities. I can't stop thinking about the next time I'm firing up this game, the adventures that I'll be experiencing and what choices to make. Boy oh boy, you're in for a treat if you haven't played this game yet and like RPG games."

Total War: Warhammer II

There’s no game more tactical than the Total War series, which is why it made this list. Warhammer II lets you command hundreds and even thousands of armies in the battlefield, from the many varieties of units, and from different factions. Not an army of pikemen, horsemen and archers, but instead you’ll be dealing with fantasy-based units such as the undead, dwarves, elves, and so much more.

This epic strategy game takes you to a land of chaos, where different factions of good and evil try to consume the world by taking control of a magical seal.

This second edition of the game of course offers new features and tactical plays, but not to an extent where the game gets off course. With newly added tweaks and more immersive graphics, it really deserves a spot in your game library if you're into this type of game.

Opus Magnum

Developed by Zachtronics, this open-ended puzzle game lets you create exactly what the game’s title states: “a great work” (the literal meaning of the title in Latin). “It is not an exaggeration to say that without alchemical engineering, civilization would not exist,” the game boldly states. Which is exactly what you’ll be working on in this open-ended puzzle game.

You’ll be mainly working on machines, figuring out a way to provide a specific alchemy using elements such as air, fire, water, and earth, together with other types of metal. You can also compete against friends to build the simplest machine, or maybe the most complex or fastest! Then, export GIFs of your creations to show them off -- please post them on the XPGS Reddit if any of you do this!

There is so much you can do within the game and two things are for sure, experimenting and craftwork are necessities. You might want to think ahead if you really are into tinkering, as the game can be quite challenging and frustrating… in a FUN way.

All of these games are on sale NOW in the Steam winter sale (until January 4th, 10am PST), so this is a great time to check one or all of these out.

Did I miss one of you favorite games from this past year? Let us know about it in the comments!

2. Ma

MaXimuSpartan Newbie
    5/47

Console:
    Xbox
    YEA EXCELENT

3. IH

IH8UALL Guest

Where do they come up with "the best pc games" I can think of alot better games than these. The only one that I would play maybe is Cuphead.

4. Grizzy

Grizzy Contributor
    115/188

What are your top 5 PC games of 2017? Or at least some of you favorites -- love to hear what other people are playing!