Jonny Weston Mar 8, 2017

1. Jonny Weston

Jonny Weston
    Administrator
    XPG Administrator XPG Developer
    145/188

Console:
    Computer
    The Panzer Corps [official site] are showing their age. You can see it in the rust that is accumulating around their joints and hear it in the strained rumble of their engines. Even the hexes look a little worn around the edges these days. It’s no surprise really – the old stalwart has seen a lot of action. Five years in the field. Five years of branching campaigns and the kind of wargaming that even a genre novice can hope to learn. Well, it’s time for reinforcements to arrive so the old Corps can take some time for rest and recuperation, or perhaps be put out to pasture for good.

[​IMG]

Slitherine send news that Panzer Corps 2 is in development and it’ll be all shiny and 3D thanks to Unreal Engine 4.

Beyond the fact that it’ll have a fully 3D engine, we don’t know very much at all. I bet there will be tanks.

Panzer Corps 2 is currently in development using Unreal Engine 4, to allow an impressive leap forward in both technological capabilities and visual impact. Hundreds of World War 2 units will be shown with a level of quality and detail never seen before in a wargame.

The move to a fully 3D engine is a natural evolution of the game, but the core gameplay will always remain true to its roots.

Look, here’s a video. It is mostly maps.

I’m afraid of 3D, convinced it might intrude on everything that I love and care about on my lovely 2D hex maps. Slitherine’s press release seems to be saying, don’t worry, it’ll be fine: “[Panzer Corps 2 will] pay tribute to the classic gameplay of a distant golden age of strategy gaming, refine it, perfect it and use the most recent technologies to enhance these experiences and bring them to a new generation of gamers. In other words, strike the perfect balance between tradition and innovation, both in visuals and gameplay.”

That all sounds just fine, but I won’t be convinced about all this new-fangled 3D business until I’ve seen the game in action.

Source: Rock Paper Shotgun