How to share games on Xbox One!

NaCLy AF Nov 23, 2013

1. mickey79

mickey79 Developer XPG Developer
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Question - Let's say I've got a profile on my XBOX One that has a few digital games. If I create a 2nd profile on that same XBOX One, mark it as "Make this my home XBOX" and then use that profile for Gamesharing with other folks - will that work?

I've been gamesharing on the 2 XBOX One's we have in the house between me & my wife; but I'd like to gameshare with other folks outside, now that I have a few digital games. But I don't feel comfortable sharing my primary profile, which is essentially also my main Windows account and I have a lot of Windows things hooked up to it. What I'd really like to do is create another profile on my XBOX One - which will be able to own my digital games from the other profile - and use that to share with outside folks.

Just wondering if this is possible before I start a gamesharing thread.

Thanks.

2. Bu

Bullet Guest

Send me over your dummy account and i will test it out for you if you like?

3. th

thereplicant Newbie
    0/47

Im exactly the same as the poster above, I want to be able to let one of my work colleagues get access to one of my games but I have 2 digital downloads on my main gamertag. If I setup a new gamertag and give him the log in details is there any way to limit him to only seeing one game. Also do I need to set up the new gamertag as the home xbox or my original gamertag.

Bullet I can send you a test gamertag if your willing to help me?

4. Wiwar

Wiwar Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox One
    Why would this work? The whole point behind game sharing is sharing a profile that has bought digital content, if you create another gamertag and share that, it's bought nothing so would be of no benefit?

Change your security settings on windows, the person I'm sharing with cannot log in to my account any more as the password was reset as soon as he marked my gamertag as the home gamertag on his console. You'll find no need to login to that gamertag again so changing the password is the way forward :)

5. mickey79

0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Thanks for the Offer Bullet, but I was able to test this. I can verify now - NO, this doesn't work! Wiwar is correct. Only the profile that actually purchased the digital game can share it; other profiles on that console cannot carry the digital games forward to another console. You have to share the profile that actually bough the games.

I have a new issue now that I'm trying to resolve with XBOX Support; this is a message I have never seen before and even Google has never heard of it. When I try to make my main profile as "Make this my Home XBOX", it gives me the following message:

Can't make this your Home XBOX.
    You can only have one Home XBOX at a time, and can only switch consoles 3 times per year.

This is a very big bummer that was never clearly stated or informed to us before. What this means is you can only hit the "Make this my Home XBOX" button 3 times in a year on a single profile. During setting up the 2 consoles in our house; and the 2 gamertags, I switched back 'n forth between "Make this my Home XBOX" and "This isn't my Home XBOX" more then 3 times. Now my gamertag is locked; I can't make it "My Home XBOX" on my own console anymore.

This is nuts. I'm absolutely furious about this; I'm still working with XBOX Support on this - most of them have never even heard of this or know anything about this. Only one agent I spoke to was actually aware of this policy. She's trying to figure out how to reset my profile so I can make it my Home XBOX again on my own console.

Any of you ever heard of this?

6. Bu

Bullet Guest

Yes it was stated from the start that you could only do this 3 times.

I cant find the source now, but i do recall it being discussed on here somewhere as well.

7. mickey79

0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Bullet,

I didn't realize this; I must have missed it somewhere. But here's what doesn't make sense to me about this. I can't make my own console "My Home XBOX" for my own profile - I can't understand where this logic is coming from for Microsoft. This has royally screwed me now.

We bought 2 XBOX One's just for the simple & sole reason that my wife & I could play multiplayer games with each other one our own consoles, without having to buy 2 copies of the same game. We essentially downloaded all the digital games on her profile. We had set my console as Home XBOX for her profile; and her console as Home XBOX for my profile - this way we could both launch any game on either of our profiles without having to sign in as the other. This is what the Microsoft store even confirmed to us we could do - This was the whole purpose of buying the 2nd console so we could multiplayer with each other.

All was working fine & sweet; and then I must have undone the Home XBOX on our profiles a couple of times here & there; and now as it stands - both profiles are Home XBOX on her console; and niether of the 2 profiles will set as Home XBOX on my console.

As a result, I can only launch the digital games we bought under my wife's profile when I sign her onto my console as well. This won't work for the multiplayer - because for that she would need to be signed into her console and would have to be signed out of my console. At that point games will work on her console but they won't work on mine. Requiring me to buy a 2nd copy of the same games in order to play multiplayer with her. This totally defeats the purpose.

And this is where I'm having a problem with Microsoft's "switch consoles 3 times a year" theory. I can understand this sort of a limit to prevent mass gamesharing between gamers; but we have only used 2 consoles on which we've set the profiles as Home XBOX; there is no 3rd console involved. I should be able to hit the "This is my home XBOX" and "This isn't my home XBOX" on my own console as many times as I want; I shouldn't be restricted to 3 times a year for the same profile on the same console - that doesn't make any sense.

I hope I make sense.

8. Bu

Bullet Guest

Best bet is to contact Xbox Support and see what they say about it.

9. mickey79

0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Agreed. I have been on the phone with them since yesterday; having bounced around between 6 agents so far - trying everything up to restoring consoles to factory defaults. Still working with one agent who's supposed to check with a superior at this point & get back to me later today. They do understand the problem but don't seem to have a solution for it. Most of them seem to agree with me as well - they just don't know how to resolve; and I'm not confident they will be able to.

I'm looking at a total loss of the 2nd console at this point; but either way - I'll let you know if they do figure something out.

Folks here should definitely be vary of hitting the "Make this my home XBOX" and "This isn't my home XBOX" button.

10. mickey79

0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Just wanted to update everyone:

I did call in my XBOX Support; I went through at least 4 different agents & 3 different calls as most of them were neither aware of this issue nor did they have any idea how to resolve.

That was until my 4th agent who knew exactly what the problem was & how to resolve it. She basically set the counter back to 0. The "you can only switch consoles 3 times per year" can easily be set back to 0. You just have to call XBOX Support. She did a hard reset of the gamertag and that switched it back to 0.

After that I was able to make my wife's profile "My Home XBOX" on my console and my profile "My Home XBOX" on her console. Everything is back to normal. We can play our multiplayer again using the single copy of the game.

11. J3W

J3W Rookie
    20/47

Ahh thats good news!!

12. aw

awildpsyduck Newbie
    0/47

What exactly did you say? I called about 3 minutes ago and the lady said I have to wait the year. -_-

13. mickey79

0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Welcome to my world awildpsyduck; It took me 4 agents and 3 calls to get this done.

The 1st agent didn't even have a clue what I was talking about; wasn't even familiar with that error message or the 3 times per year policy.
    The 2nd agent told exactly what they told you - you have to wait a year; there's nothing we can do - there's nothing that can be done.
    The 3rd agent knew about the policy, wanted to help, but didn't know how to - she forwarded me to another XBOX One support agent - that agent was trying very hard to help me and looked like she knew what to do - but unfortunately our call got cut off & she didn't call me back; I couldn't reconnect with her.

I called once more and was connected to an agent who's name was "Essence". She knew exactly what the problem was, all about policy, and knew exactly what to do. It took her literally 15 minutes on the phone to resolve this. What she said was that "I need to hard reset your gamertag in the XCP". That's all I know. She did have me log in to accounts.live.com on a browser to make sure I do not have the two-step verification active. She had me turn off my consoles and did the hard reset; asked me to turn them back on; sign in and try the "Make this my Home XBOX" button - it worked! The message was gone.

I don't believe it take you any less effort then I. Prepare for at least 3 - 5 phone calls and 5 - 6 agents to resolve this issue. Just let them know you have a friend who just did this yesterday; and that they Hard Reset his gamertag in the XCP to resolve this.

PS: If this post helps anyone, please be generous with the "Like" button. :)

14. Wiwar

Wiwar Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox One
    Glad you got it sorted. In terms of when you're made aware of the 3 times a year, isn't it whilst you actually make a profile the home console? I'm pretty sure I got that pop up during the process?

15. mickey79

0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Nope - No such popup! I didn't know this until I had already done it 3 times & got the error. It never appeared in any popup "while" doing it.

16. pl

plummy89 Newbie
    0/47

Hello, I hope you can help, I'm new to this game sharing malark.

So I get the Principe, say I let a good friend use my gamertag and vice versa to set each other's as the home console...how will this effect any future games I download

As my console would be classed as my friends home console, should I download a game on my profile Will it be classed as his game as it was installed in his home console (despite it being my actual console) or would I need to get him to install it on my gsmertag on his console which would be classed as my home console!!!!

I would appreciate any help (if you all understand my babbling)

17. Swoogod

Swoogod Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox One
    I'll game watchdogs with someone for 2k

18. Wiwar

Wiwar Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox One
    Plummy: you can still purchase games on your console using your gamertag and they're yours to keep - no questions asked. It'll then become available to download on your friends console.

You can use your console as you normally would, nothing changes other than any games bought by your friend are free to download!

19. pl

plummy89 Newbie
    0/47

20. gh

ghilly36 Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Hi, I've got a question, on xbox 360, if you purchase and download a game to a console, the game would have a console license and it wouldn't matter if you deleted the profile you purchased on, allowing to to play on other accounts on the same console without license transfer. Is that still possible with xbox one?