Always Online DRM Patched In By 2K - Xbox One - PS4

Bullet Dec 9, 2013

1. Bu

Bullet Guest

Xbox One Always Online DRM was met strongly opposed by gamers when it was first announced that Xbox One would require you to be always connected to the internet to play games. The reaction was so strong that Microsoft were forced to listen, and reversed the DRM policies that were initially proposed.

One company that refuses to listen to the gamers is 2k who have just released a patch that requires the exact DRM that Microsoft did a U-turn on. This doesn't only affect Xbox One owners though, this is enforced on the PS4 also.

As of today you will be required to stay connected to the internet whilst playing NBA2K14 on either of the next-gen consoles.
    2k have made this decision in an attempt to protect their micro-transactions from exploits.

If you loose connection now whilst playing any mode that uses 2K Virtual Coins ( VC ) you will be immediately kicked back to the main menu where you will have the option to play MyCareer and MyGM until you re-connect to the 2K servers.

Bit of a sneaky stunt for 2K to pull, to wait until the game has launched and then sneak in the DRM patch with no forewarning.
    I wonder how many other companies will follow suit, or if Gamers are willing to stand for such sly tactics.

The coins can be exploited via a glitch in the game, isn't that down to the developers to ensure the games are solid before release?

Source NeoGAF.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  2. xpghax

xpghax Gold Section Mod/Uploader
    0/47

Console:
    Other
    sneaky MOFO's :O

3. Coder123

Coder123 Finnish Modder XPG Developer TeamXPG
    105/188

Console:
    Xbox
    and let the sales go down

4. Saben

Saben Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    always away round, some one will work out a way.

5. NY

NYer420 Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Playstation 3
    I wish 2k would spend more time working on patches to fix the broken games they release year after year. Oh wait, or here is a novel idea...beta test the game thereselfs and stop releasing games that don't work right!!!!

The fact that there has been no competing NFL, NBA or WWE games the last few years is really effecting the qualitty. NBA 2k14 has no significant changes since 2k12 (maybe longer I didn't play 2k11).

6. Bu

Bullet Guest

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="NYer420" data-time="1386654675">
    <div>
    I wish 2k would spend more time working on patches to fix the broken games they release year after year. Oh wait, or here is a novel idea...beta test the game thereselfs and stop releasing games that don't work right!!!!

The fact that there has been no competing NFL, NBA or WWE games the last few years is really effecting the qualitty. NBA 2k14 has no significant changes since 2k12 (maybe longer I didn't play 2k11).
    </div>
    </blockquote>

I couldn't agree more with you. Game dev's are only interested in rushing out half finished games and then deal with the aftermath via patches that mostly fail or break something else. Prime examples of that are BF4 which is now on it's 15th patch since release in November ( even after a beta) and the shambles that is GTA V. Fanboys will argue that im wrong and all games have issues on launch especially mmo, well my argument is that a well established games company that is releasing a game from a series should have enough collective data to ensure the game is something like stable on release, especially when the single player part of the game releases 2 weeks before the online portion of the game. That is enough time to gather information on sales etc.
    2K have taken a shortcut to fixing what is a failing game. I think it was the intention from the start, to sell the game first and wait to release an Always online patch, thats why there was no pre warning.
    Shame on you 2k!