The Elder Scrolls Online Console Delay Was "The right thing to do"

reloadmydeagle Aug 28, 2014

1. reloadmydeagle

reloadmydeagle I LoVe GoldZ Lifetime Gold XPG Retired Staff
    235/282

Console:
    Xbox One
    [​IMG]

Xbox One and PlayStation 4 owners were originally supposed to be getting their hands on The Elder Scrolls Online next month, but the game's delay means fans will be waiting until at least the end of the year before playing it on consoles. The decision to hold the game back "seemed like the right thing to do," according to Bethesda's vice president of PR and marketing, Pete Hines, who has shared some new insight into what contributed to the delay.

"We're not happy about it -- obviously we much rather have the console version out in June," he told CVG. "But it seemed like the right thing to do, and we did spend a little time working with the console folks to try to come up with some kind of a thing so that the folks who couldn't play it could buy the PC version and then add a next-gen console version later for a lot less money. That seemed like something that was worth working on before we announced the delay."

Hines was asked how Bethesda goes about filling the gap it now finds in its release schedule with ESO out of the picture. While the publisher hasn't explicitly set out to release something new in the MMO's place, he pointed to that upgrade plan--buy the PC version by the end of June and you'll be able to get the console version for $20 and carry your progress over to it--as filling that hole in a way. "So maybe that's the answer to your question -- trying to come up with something to say, 'Look, this sucks and we're going to try to do this to [compensate].'"

When the delay was announced earlier this month, Bethesda offered little explanation, simply stating it was "still working to solve a series of unique problems specific to those platforms." Those problems were said to include integrating its systems with the networks used by the Xbox One and PlayStation 4.

Even with the similarities between the Xbox One and PC, Hines said it "is and isn't" surprising that bringing the game over is a challenge "because it's not an open system, it's a closed system. It's not just an ESO thing -- they have rules and regulations that govern all games, if you're going to do something it has to work a certain way. It doesn't matter the way that we want to do it -- it has to fit their requirements."

Payments are one such example: "When we do stuff on PC, we manage it ourselves, it goes through our store, we manage the whole thing. When it goes through somebody else, that someone is doing all of that; taking your money, charging your PayPal, and then transferring that information to us. This is just inherently a different process than the one that we have, where it's our store and we just have to make sure our system works.

"It's the same thing on PSN -- you have to just make sure that all of that stuff communicates. When you start adding up the pile of things and everything that we learned from launch, it was clear that we needed to take the time to do this right, because it has massive ramifications if it doesn't work right for the consumer experience."

While the delay was initially announced to be "about six months," Bethesda has since said it can't guarantee the game will be ready for launch on consoles before the end of the year. Keep in mind, the console market has seen the release of only a small number of MMOs, and this is the first from Bethesda.

Source - http://www.gamespot.com/articles/elder-scrolls-online-console-delay-was-the-right-thing-to-do/1100-6419922/

2. XPGSaints

XPGSaints XPG Donator Lifetime Gold BANNED
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    That's a great thing to know. I prefer to wait longer for a game with a good start than have the game at the launch time and -blam!- ..yeah like GTA: V.
    Thanks for the share bro ;)

3. FreddyZVoorhees

FreddyZVoorhees Truth or happiness, never both. Lifetime Gold XPG Retired Staff
    135/188

Console:
    Xbox
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Damn I don't want to play this on PC :p

4. reloadmydeagle

135/188

Console:
    Xbox One
    I agree, but they should still have an open beta. I want to play it so bad but my lowend PC can't handle it and the wait is killing me :LOL:

5. De

DellBoy Veni Vidi Vici Lifetime Gold
    235/282

Console:
    Xbox
    I honestly believe console owners will never get this game, due to the fact they can't charge this ridiculas monthly fee they want too charge as M$ and Sony don't want that fee and they fact that its been a huge flop on the PC they lost 70% of the first month fee payers didn't continue to pay there charge no one wants to pay there fee so it will never come to console
    Also played this on PC and its doesn't feel like a true Elder Scrolls game

6. reloadmydeagle

135/188

Console:
    Xbox One
    Yeah, but it's because the PC gaming community probably isn't that in to ESO. I'm sure if they end up launching it on console it will be a major boost in sales and very beneficial.

7. XPGSaints

XPGSaints XPG Donator Lifetime Gold BANNED
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    My pc can't run minecraft and runescape with average graphics. But i'll buy my one and my husky in first and that's a good 2000$ total so my future pc can wait (not a fan of pc game anyway). The wait is killing me too to try out the imperial edition! <3

8. De

DellBoy Veni Vidi Vici Lifetime Gold
    235/282

Console:
    Xbox
    yeah but its a PC game this is where the game should of thrived and done amazing this is why the game was released on PC first ages ago now by the time we get it, it will feel like a re mastered edition by the time we get our hands on the bloody thing on console else they would of released it on all platforms like most other games, seriously if it could thrive and do well on PC they will be really gutted and know if they don't have the backing of PC gamers its not going to do very well on console and the fact they will get no monthly income from the game on console.

I am looking forward to it (well like most skyrim fans really wanted Skyrim with multiplayer) not the crap fest of issues and bugs and glitchs it does have on PC I will get it if it does come on console just have a seriousl doubt about of it thats all ;)