State of Decay - Review by XPGRifter

reloadmydeagle Jul 31, 2014

1. reloadmydeagle

reloadmydeagle I LoVe GoldZ Lifetime Gold XPG Retired Staff
    20/47

Console:
    Xbox One
    [​IMG]

Since I'm a HUGE fan of "The Walking Dead" TV show, I decided to take a spin at a similarly-styled game version and download State of Decay. In case you don't know, State of Decay is a sandbox zombie game with a vast landscape to explore and an infinite story line. Now, let's get to the review.

The Graphics - 7/10

[​IMG]

The graphics were definitely not a strong point for this game. I kept noticing lines in far away textures and the character graphics could be better. But they aren't terrible either. At first they bugged me but I grew to get used to them and now they have no affect on me whatsoever. Hey, you can't have a huge landscape game with great graphics and gameplay, can you?

The Gameplay - 9/10

[​IMG]

The gameplay is very enjoyable, and I love the feeling of the freedom you get. At any time you want you can leave your home base to go scavenge, rescue other survivors, or just climb a tower and kill zombies for fun. The weapons are great but I feel there is a lack of them. There's not very many guns you can get, but it doesn't bother me any as long as I get the thrill of blasting a zombie's brain out!

The Driving - 6/10

[​IMG]

The driving was alright when in small towns and going slow down the road, but if you get lucky enough to find a nice, fast sports car, don't make the mistake of flooring it and putting the pedal to the metal. When going full speed, I experienced an extreme lag that was very unattractive. I've learned to deal with it but it is still extremely annoying, especially when honking you horn make the lag ten times worse.

The Characters - 5/10

[​IMG]

I like the concept of being able to switch to characters who have you classified as a "friend" and then play as them with their weapons and equipment. It's a great concept, but the playable characters I just did not like very much. Only a couple I could actually stand to play as. Another major flaw with the character switching, is whatever character you're playing as, is the leader of your home base. It's quite annoying and unrealistic when in a split second a new leader is appointed to the base as you switch characters.

The Audio - 10/10

[​IMG]

The audio and voices were great and surprisingly, some of them were actually funny things the characters would say, which is rare. The sound of gunshots are a little loud, but that's why you always use a suppressor. The zombies' growling sounds very realistic, same with the sound of a bullet splitting their skull, you can almost hear the bone crack.

Overall - 8/10
    State of Decay is a great game and I still have a lot of fun playing it. I recommend it to anyone who loves zombies and free roam games such as Skyrim and Grand Theft Auto 5. It's also fairly cheap as well, only $20 Microsoft Currency on the Xbox Marketplace. I hope my review has helped you decide whether or not you will be purchasing this game!

2. reloadmydeagle

reloadmydeagle I LoVe GoldZ Lifetime Gold XPG Retired Staff
    135/188

Console:
    Xbox One
    Added images ;)

3. OfficialSilas

OfficialSilas The PC Wizard
    105/188

Console:
    Other
    Really nice man, Keep up the great articles :)

4. Skeleton

Skeleton Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Great review, Rifter! Keep this kind of thing coming :D

5. Bu

Bullet Guest

Great review, these kind of reviews will come in handy for our new section coming soon ;)

6. XPGHerozHD

XPGHerozHD Member
    45/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Awesome review of state of decay rifter ;)

7. MrVinRockz

MrVinRockz Rookie
    20/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Liked this game but the Xbox One graphics version still looks like 360. Might still pick it u though. Hope they make another one in the future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.