You Will Be Able To Trade Xbox One Games Online, Microsoft Says

XPG Paddy May 21, 2013

1. XPG Paddy

XPG Paddy FTP Staff Lifetime Gold
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Xbox One games will require a one-time activation code to use, but you'll still be able to trade and sell them online, Microsoft tells Kotaku—although we're not 100% clear on the details.
    Speaking to us at the big event in Redmond today, Microsoft corporate vice president Phil Harrison clarified a couple of details about the system's used game policy and explained that there will be a solution for people who want to trade games with their friends.
    Here's how the system works: when you buy an Xbox One game, you'll get a unique code that you enter when you install that game. You'll have to connect to the Internet in order to authorize that code, and the code can only be used once. Once you use it, that game will then be linked to your Xbox Live account. "It sits on your harddrive and you have permission to play that game as long as you’d like," Harrison said.
    Other users on the console will be able to play that game as well, Harrison said. So you don't need to buy multiple games per family. "With the built-in parental controls of the system it is shared amog the users of the device," he said.
    But what if you want to bring a game disc to a friend's house and play there? You'll have to pay a fee—and not just some sort of activation fee, but the actual price of that game—in order to use a game's code on a friend's account. Think of it like a new game, Harrison says.
    "The bits that are on that disc, you can give it to your friend and they can install it on an Xbox One," he said. "They would then have to purchase the right to play that game through Xbox Live."
    "They would be paying the same price we paid, or less?" we asked.
    "Let’s assume it’s a new game, so the answer is yes, it will be the same price," Harrison said.
    But that doesn't mean used games are dead. In fact, Harrison told us, you'll be able to sell your Xbox One games online.
    "We will have a solution—we’re not talking about it today—for you to be able to trade your previously-played games online," Harrison said.
    The Xbox exec wouldn't give further details on how this system will work, but we're assuming that once you're done with a game, you can trade the code online and it will be erased from your machine. But what will you get? Other games? Microsoft Points?
    No matter how the final system works, it is not likely to please GameStop, the world's biggest buyer and seller of used video games, but it could be a tantalizing way to share games with your friends in the virtual space.

Source:kotaku

2. noneed

noneed Hitman Lifetime Gold
    135/188

Console:
    Xbox One
    Thanks for the share. I am definitely interested in the marketplace for selling games if it is more appealing than getting robbed by Gamestop.

3. XPG Paddy

XPG Paddy FTP Staff Lifetime Gold
    185/188

Console:
    Xbox
    nw enjoy I hate that there using Serial Codes for Games! To make them work :/

4. tE

tEcHN0 Guest

Flubber M$

5. Memphy

Memphy Blunts and Bombay
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    If I buy a $60 game, install it, and sell it, I better get my $60 back... And if that is the case, I will never have to buy a game again after the first. If customers are not getting full retail for a disc that the company forced them to use atleast once, there is little hope for this system to work.

I still am very displeased with this whole thing. I mean, they prohibit game sharing, which I suppose stopes pirating games, until the find a keycode crack like they have with pc games, but come on!!!!!! If I want to borrow a game before I buy it, I can't do that anymore... I will never be able to demo a game or rent a game from my friends or stores.

I know people will still buy the xbox one, BUT, this concept of game fee's might possibly kill microsoft

6. Mr SillySquid

Mr SillySquid Gold Member Gold Subscriber
    30/47

Console:
    Xbox
    If i cant rent a game, and this game fee is true, i will not be getting a xbox one, some games are total crap and is not worth 40 quid, i rent to see what there like then i buy if awesome like a cod or bf.... Why have EA done away with online pass, because this maybe true, as above i think this could kill the xbox one, Sony could be on the up lol

7. teddyfeathers

teddyfeathers .. Gold Subscriber Lifetime Gold BANNED
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Does sound a bit mental, I wonder if it will be like a buy it now auction where you can set the price you want to sell the game for?The bit about having to pay for the game again if you go around your mates and play it there sucks, not too bad for me as I have no mates ;)

8. noneed

noneed Hitman Lifetime Gold
    135/188

Console:
    Xbox One
    Supposedly tied to your live account so you would just log on at someone's house to play the game you own. We will have to see how it plays out. Sure they won't totally screw their customers and expect to keep them.