Jbrizzel Jun 20, 2013

1. Jbrizzel

Jbrizzel Member
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    [​IMG]

The GPU in both Xbox One and PS4 will be equivalent to the Radeon HD 7870
    But it's an APU, not separate GPU/CPU on both. Both consoles, hardware wise,
    are virtually identical. Both have 8GB of RAM (no idea on the clock speed though),
    same type of processor (clock speed on PS4 is higher), and the GPU are almost the
    same, with the PS4's being slightly better. They make it seem all high and mighty seeing
    as how they are running 8 core CPU's and whatnot, but they aren't impressive. The
    processor in both are equivalent to the processors found in tablets and such. Slower than
    most entry level quad cores. And DEFINITELY slower than any Ivy Bridge or Piledriver CPUs
    from Intel or AMD.

That is why they are using APUs in these consoles. While both will have somewhat decent GPU
    capability, they are still APUs at the end of the day. Meaning the graphics processing will still be
    significantly slower than any PC with comparable hardware.

They are cheering for Sony because Sony didn't fawk them AS badly as Microsoft.
    And now they are butt hurt when Microsoft actually listens. I mean, how often does
    one of the largest corporations in the world actually listen to their user-base and
    change one of their core products significantly. And now people are like "Sony didn't
    fawk us as badly originally, so they already earned my trust, fawk you Microsuck,

I mean, this generation of consoles will especially be garbage Mainly because they are running
    x86-64 architecture. So basically they are using a processor that is extremely similar to most desktop
    machines.

~Post Your Thoughts in This Thread~

PS: THIS WAS NOT A COPY/PASTE

-Jbrizzel

2. Sh

Sharp_Shot123 Epic XPG Gamer Gold Subscriber
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    InB4 DDR3 has nothing on GDDR5

3. Tony B

Tony B Ťサ∑ ㄕ◊к∑㎡◊и Lifetime Gold
    185/188

Console:
    Xbox One
    I'm literally torn. I don't know what to choose now. I have friends that want me to get a PS4 and I have my current friends on Xbox. :cry:

4. xpghax

xpghax Gold Section Mod/Uploader
    205/282

Console:
    Other
    Flubber next gen console,stick with 360 and get a gaming pc ;)

5. gmerdude

gmerdude Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Xbox one now for me no more online check ins !!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

6. Shadow

Shadow Watchers Staff Member XPG Moderator
    430/564

Floating in Space having a beer with the guy who d
    Console:
    Xbox One
    well i would do is cut 1/2 a ps4 1/2 a X1 and 1/2 a PC and glue the mother-f together and see what i have. :lol:

7. Xt

XtraTrstrL Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Playstation 3
    Detailed info has been out for way too long for you to be posting crap posts like this. You say both systems have the equivalent of a 7870, but then go on to say PS4's GPU is slightly better. This makes no sense.

Xbox One - GPU equivalent of a 7790 ------------ PS4 - GPU equivalent of a 7850 - 7870

That is a big difference, 1.2 Tflops compared to 1.8 tflops. The raw power of the PS4 is 50% more than Xbox One, that's a little more than a slight difference. They aren't nearly identical at all. They both have APUs made by AMD, both are highly modified in their own way.

PS4 went for 8GB of fully unified GDDR5 ram, opening up more possibilities and making things very simple for everyone.

Xbox One went for the slower 8GB of DDR3 ram, and will try to make up for it with 32mb of eSRAM to transfer things a bit faster, but making it more complex for developers to decide and figure out just how to get this done.

The PS4 has only 1 OS, that is based on FreeBSD, that has a very small memory footprint and is very good for multitasking. It is assumed the reserved ram for the OS will be between 512mb - 1GB / leaving atleast 7GB GDDR5 ram for games.

The Xbox One will have 3 OSes, and together they will require 3GB of ram / leaving only 5GB DDR3 ram for games.

All of these things together make the PS4 much more powerful than the X1 overall. The first gen of multiplatforms won't show it off much, except maybe PS4 might have a higher framerate or further draw distance in certain games maybe. It will show up much more later on, when devs start to really exploit the power of these next gen consoles.

And before you look at the raw numbers of the APU's CPU and GPU, look at what HSA is, because this is gonna change everything. You can't do a direct comparison of console hardware to pc hardware to begin with, because consoles are a closed platform, so they can be coded closer to the metal, and extract every little bit of power. Look at "Last of Us" or "Beyond: Two Souls" on PS3 for instance. With HSA though, it opens up even more broader doors for what will be possible on these consoles, and it will keep them going strong a little further into their lifespan than would be expected with all the new GPUs and CPUs coming out for PC nonstop. They are very powerful pieces of hardware, and AMD is working closely with them to mature the APIs much faster, so games will continue to look much better and better for awhile. This is good for PC gamers too, because they won't be bottlenecking the PC as much as this current gen has.

8. Fallen Predator

Fallen Predator Lifetime Gold Lifetime Gold
    135/188

Console:
    Playstation 4
    No need to be rude mate, you have a point,everyone has there own opinions, show some respect.

9. andygee1987

andygee1987 XPGEE Lifetime Gold
    0/47

Console:
    Playstation 4
    Ps4 wins hands down forget all mumbojumbo talk :troll:

10. Xt

XtraTrstrL Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Playstation 3
    Sorry, I didn't mean to be rude, I was just annoyed at the blatantly inaccurate and misleading info the OP provided. Everyone's free to choose the console of their choice, both will be powerful and have great games. It's just important to provide the actual true specs of the hardware when you are posting info on the subject in a matter-of-fact type of manner.

11. Jbrizzel

Jbrizzel Member
    45/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Absolutely correct.
    Except for one part.
    The PS4 wont be 50% more powerful than the XBO.

12. xTG_IrOnZzZ

xTG_IrOnZzZ Banned BANNED
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox One
    PS3 is more powerful than the 360, yet frame rates are choppy on most games and sharp edged graphics.

Means nothing, it all comes down to how the developer optimises the game to the console, many devs use Xbox as their main preference to develop, meaning PS4/PC would be ports. So most likely games will run/look better on the Xbox one.

Not saying Devs will choose Xbox one, they could choose PS4 this time around.

Most likely not though, as MS announced full Unity support for the Xbox one.

Again, all comes down to optimisation.

13. Swiftus

Swiftus Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Playstation 4
    GDDR5 over DDR3. Both are similar to pc architecture so I imagine there will be very little difference other than how the faster ram is utilised. Only when the consoles are released and we get a side by side comparison of a multi platform game can we say one (stop that!) is better than the other. Just my two penneth

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

14. Xt

XtraTrstrL Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Playstation 3
    On raw GPU power alone, it is 50% more powerful, and raw GPU power is a major factor. Then all the other specs give it a decided advantage also, mainly the ease of development. How it will all play out in the end is yet to be seen.

The PS3 was more powerful, but was extremely hard to develop for, and Sony had an attitude of trying to outdo & not help 3rd parties at all, which was a huge mistake on their part. This time around they are much more inclusive with their knowledge on the architecture and new APIs, and with it's familiar PC hardware it's very easy to jump right into to begin with. So, even if Xbox One becomes the lead platform, a PS4 port should be expected to be at the same quality, if not higher. Even with no specific optimizations, it could easily have higher framerates and draw distanct, etc.

1 point Cerny made recently to give a grasp of how easy it is to code for now was a chart he showed that gave the average amount of time it took to get an engine up and running on the different gens of playstations.

It took 1-2 months on PS1, 3-6 months on PS2, and 6-12 months on PS3, each gen's architecture getting increasingly harder to take advantage of out of the box.

With the PS4, he says it's back to 1-2 months, because of the very easy to understand and use nature of the hardware. So, there's a good chance PS4 will be the base console for ports, and if they don't it atleast shouldn't cause any drop in quality regardless.

The difference will be the ram, the GPU power(which is signficant), and the ease of development. The PS4 just has the 1 unified pool of fast ram, while the X1 chose to go with the more complex route of DDR3 ram + 32mb eSRAM to make up for the slower speed. That 32mb eSRAM makes the X1 the more complex console to develop on, because now the devs can't just throw stuff at the system, they have to pick and choose when and what will use that 32mb bus to keep things running faster and smoothly.

I agree though, we will have to wait to see what happens after they both release. Most likely, regardless of the differences, if the numbers hold true in the visuals in the end, it probably still won't be very noticeable until the 2nd or 3rd wave of games by devs.