Tags:

XBOX One: My First Impressions

Bullet Nov 22, 2013

1. Bu

Bullet Guest

Last night i found myself at the front of a very long que hoping to get walk in stock of an Xbox One, which is surprising because up until last night i was getting a PS4.
    Since the PS4 has had so many issues i decided to try my luck with the Xbox One, being an Xbox fan anyway it just felt right.

[​IMG]

After queuing up for what felt like a lifetime, i eventually got my Day One Edition Forza bundle.
    My first impressions of the box were that even though it looked quite small it felt really heavy. I was going to do an unboxing video , but there are so many of them i figured i would just get right into setting up the Xbox One. Everything was very well packaged, and there was no massive manual inside like you get with the older Xbox 360.

Im not going to ramble on about whats in the box because there's that many Youtube wannabe superstars doing their " exclusive day one" BS that im sure you have already seen whats in the box, so moving swiftly on lets talk about the Xbox One, Kinect and Controller.

The controller truly is a work of art in its own rights. Its everything you ever wanted whilst holding the cumbersome Xbox 360 controller. The thumb sticks have been lowered and given a grip around the outer edge of the thumbstick and the D-Padd has also been lowered down into the body of the controller giving a much better fell of control. The bulbus battery pack has gone, and the batteries are now incorporated into the shell of the controller giving you're fingers a sense of freedom at the back of the controller. The bumper buttons are now less prominent but i think they could of been a little prouder from the controller personally, I sometimes dont know if i am spamming the bumper or not. One thing that is absolutely perfect on the controller though is the triggers.... the triggers could not be improved on any further in my book, the way the triggers thud when you pull them back and the shape of them is 100% spot on.

The Kinect doesnt freak me out when i walk in the room now by looking me up and down with its evil little eyes, instead it sites there lifeless winking at me. The new Kinect looks and feels like the older Kinect's big brother. The camera is clear and it picks you up without hesitation or jumping frantically flapping your arms. It can clearly pick different people out from a sea of faces on the couch too which is kind of creepy and fun. The voice command side of the Kinect isnt as great as they ( MS ) may have you believe , sometimes it doesn't respond at all whilst you are playing a game. I found that if the game was on loud, then the Kinect did struggle, but this wasn't unexpected.

The headset looks really cool with some nice touch buttons that you can easily use whilst still holding the controller and not loosing any gameplay time hunting around for a switch.

Remember that heavy packaging i was talking about earlier? Finally the Xbox One! The Xbox One not only looks cool ,but it runs cool as well. I have had mine on now at the time of writing this for 14 hours and its still running cool, and its so quite it doesn't seem like its even on at all.
    It becomes apparent why there is no massive manual when you come to setup the Xbox One, it really is so simple. Everything is clearly labelled so you really don't need a manual.

Th initial setup takes a little while because you have to install a 500mb update first, and then go through the whole setup procedure only to find that when you go to play a game... that needs installing too., but don't worry though it's well worth the wait.

Although there are some similarities in the dashboard, like the actual layout is pretty similar, there are a lot of really cool features tucked away in the menus. I really like the " Feed" , its a social feed that shows what everyone on your friends list is and has been upto. So if any of your friends earn an achievement you will see it in your feed. If friends go on the same game as you , you will see that in your feed too. I think the social aspect of it could be improved upon, and no doubt Microsoft probably will. The snap aspect of the dash is really neat, and im enjoying using that even though multi-taksing isn't my forte its surprisingly easy with "snap". The downside ot the snap feature when using it with TV I found is that without a current Sky subscription I cant use the feature.
    Another thing i really like about the Xbox One is the ability to scan game codes etc directly using QR codes, without the need manually typing them in. All in all the Dashboard feels fast and responsive and snaping between app's is extremely fast.

Overall my view of the Xbox One is a positive one, and if anyone like me is sitting on the fence and wondering if the Xbox is a glorified TV ro is a gaming machine?

It sure as hell hasn't disappointed me on the gaming front so far. The Xbox One is a Gaming Console with extras ....

I hope this has been of some help to you, and if you want to ask any questions please feel free.

2. XPGHAZARD

XPGHAZARD BANNED BANNED
    55/94

Console:
    Xbox One
    Very nice Bullet, well written! ;)

3. Coder123

Coder123 Finnish Modder XPG Developer TeamXPG
    105/188

Console:
    Xbox
    Now i want it even more :( i cant wait for tuesday when i get that bad boy! Im glad you're enjoying it!

4. xpghax

xpghax Gold Section Mod/Uploader
    205/282

Console:
    Other
    nice one B ;) makes me want one more :lol:

5. XPG Darkside

XPG Darkside Eating cake.... Gold Subscriber Lifetime Gold
    460/564

Eating cake.
    Console:
    Xbox One
    You made the right choice B !!

I'm in love with mine lol.

6. Tattoo

Tattoo XPG Mentor Lifetime Gold
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Yeah Xbox all the way it's too good to pass up.

7. BinaryX

BinaryX Lifetime Gold XPG Developer Lifetime Gold
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    I am gonna wait with my *I told you so!* line for when the PS4 users start having regrets LOL.
    Very nice Bullet, now am even more excited :D

8. De

DellBoy Veni Vidi Vici Lifetime Gold
    235/282

Console:
    Xbox
    Great information very much appreciated, where did you get it from as you said you had one on order last night but may go and get one from tesco. I can't wait for mine, sadly kids come first can't afford both, but tempted to sell both my slims rgh and a flashed retail to fund

9. ScouseCarl

ScouseCarl Dream/Believe/Achieve.
    95/188

Console:
    Xbox
    See my older brother has an xbox 1 he gets more than me haha cos he a noob!
    But to be honest yes I agree with everything said the only thing is they should of allowed cross platform play with the 360 that is the only thing that stopped me from getting it as my friends are not getting the X1 so I have ordered myself a new 360(Only have an RGH).

But ye mate the best thing I agree with you the most with is the controller I actually robbed one of his pads to see if it worked on my 360 haha! But it does not :(

10. Bu

Bullet Guest

Tescos had walk in stock of 30 consoles , i got there 2 hours early and was number 22 !

I was lucky!!

I still have one being delivered, but will send that back.

11. KillerVidz

KillerVidz Rocky BANNED
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox One
    I get mine at 6 :D Very happy to read this :p

And quick question can you install games and then play w/out hte disk in

12. De

DellBoy Veni Vidi Vici Lifetime Gold
    235/282

Console:
    Xbox
    ha lucky bugger ;)

13. BlitZxSiN

BlitZxSiN Smooth Operator Lifetime Gold
    55/94

Console:
    Xbox
    No, you need the disc to play the game even after it has been installed.

I definitely agree with everything Bullet said, the console is amazing!!

14. Dr

Dreadnort Lifetime Gold Lifetime Gold
    55/94

Console:
    Xbox
    I'm still getting to grips with the dashboard, it looks a real, almost disorganised mess after coming from the 360, I do love that you can pause a game and do something else and then jump back straight into where you left off, no more having to restart the game because you dashboarded. The new Dpad is every bit the improvement that we've all read about, a fantastic update to an already great controller. All Xbox One achievements show up under the singlular achievement title Xbox One Games when viewed on the 360.

From a gamesaving standpoint seeing as that is what this site is (in)famous for, it's going to be very interesting. Profiles and saves appear to be stored directly to the cloud rather than locally on the HDD although of course because we cannot actually see the contents of the HDD this is pure speculation and so far there is no way to access saves beyond the confines of the game. Once we start seeing USB drives being supported then we may be able to see what is and isn't possible.