Xbox 360 Slim (Trinity) Keeps Randomly Restarting Since Taking Out Xk3y

savstar Feb 28, 2013

1. sa

savstar Newbie BANNED
    125/188

Console:
    Xbox
    Hi everyone,

I would just like to know if anyone has experienced this issue, and possibly knows of a fix?

Now I have gone through numerous steps in eliminating possible causes of the random restarts, e.g: cleared hdd cache, removed hdd, used a usb pen instead of hdd, unplugged all usb devices from all ports, changed HDMI cables and switched HDMI ports, Checked all connections, Cleaned faceplate, so no oils or dirt maybe causing console to power off.........Everything!!! LOL

Now I think personally, I may have rooted out what the main cause of the issue is.

Since I purchased my xk3y over a year ago now, it worked absolutely fine in Emulation mode, However if I booted the console in Passthru mode, then my console would restart intermittently, just like it has been doing since I removed my xk3y due to it developing a fault with the sd memory card reader.

So my conclusion is, that I believe it is the slim dvd drive at fault.

As I could use the console just fine, and never experienced one reset or restart, when using the console in Emulation mode with the Xk3y.

I've even switched out the Sata cables, to see if it was just the Sata cable that was at fault, but the console seems to restart intermittently still.

I can play for hours at a time sometimes, or just an hour or so, and then the console may restart, also even after just 30 mins it may sometimes restart. This has only started happening since I plugged in my dvd drive and removed my xk3y.

Does anyone know what I could check for, possibly if I take out the drive?

Also the drive make and model is: Liteon DG-16D4S 9504 - Now 0272 Orig Firmware

I may need to know how to check the drive for shorts, i'm thinking it maybe related to the Sata port on the back of the dvd drive?

I am in progress of getting my xk3y fixed, as my xkey card reader was having trouble reading the sd cards, because of it not making contact with the pins correctly. I'm going to hard wire an sd card to the pins to prevent this from happening again, as the card reader is just too flimsy and poor quality IMO.

I'm just in the process of dissassembling my 360 slim at this point, so will post back with any findings, and will open up my drive, and take a look at the pcb.

If anyone can help with this issue, your help will truly be appreciated. Thank you ;)

I'm missing playing all my favorite games LOL

P.S sorry for the long post, just that I wanted to provide as much info as possible.

2. omegaultimo2

omegaultimo2 Lifetime Gold Lifetime Gold
    125/188

Console:
    Xbox
    ive had a xkey for nearly a year and a half now.Its devolped a shitons of problems in the past couple of months.

Mainly power failures.I tend to have a lot of console freezes and internet dissconnections which involve me manully turning it off.
    Also when turning it off it would stay on for about 3-5 mins afterwards.

Pretty sure it drains the crap out of your xbox after prolonged time.In your case i guess it overheated something

3. sa

savstar Newbie BANNED
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Like I said, the xbox 360 works fine with the xkey in emulation mode, it's just when it's either in passthru mode, or when you disconnect the xkey and just use the drive as normal.

It can't be an overheating issue, as i've recently replaced the thermal compound under the heatsink with arctic silver 5, and put the xclamps back on as normal. Also I have put in a Talismoon whisper fan for the slim also, so this should make the console even cooler than before.

I think it's definately the dvd drive that is at fault. Maybe a bad connection on the pcb somewhere, i'm currently in middle of looking into this, so will post back any results I find.

Also sorry to hear you had a lot of issues with your xk3y aswell mate, I think the build quality is rather poor, to say I paid around £70 in the UK for mine. Many other people believe the same, but when it is working, it does work awesome.

Thanks for the reply mate ;)

4. sa

savstar Newbie BANNED
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Just a quick update on trying to fix my issue, with the console resetting.

I've taken the 360 slim to pieces, stripped down to motherboard, taken out drive, and disassembled the drive to have a look at the PCB.

So far, I could not see any issues with the PCB in the drive, all solder points seem to be fine and all wires are connected fine.

So to conclude my findings, I looked at all the connections on the motherboard, all seemed fine. What I have not done since trying to fix the issue, was replace the dvd drive power cable. The cable look's fine from my point of view, but I thought I would give this a shot anyway.

So I have now replaced the dvd drive power cable with a spare one I had laying around. I fixed everything back together, and also again cleared my hdd cache, as people have reported that this can in some circumstances help resolve the reset issue, if there was any form of corruption during a system update.

So far so good, the consoles been running for around 30 min or so, and I've booted black ops 2 up and left it on the menu screen.

I'm gonna play a few games and test, and just leave the console running to see if the issue persists, or seems to have gone.

I'm hoping this may have fixed the issue, as I have stated, the only thing that I have never replaced was the power cable, which sprung to my mind. So hoping this was what has been causing me all the issues in the first place.

Will give you all an update, on how things are going with the console.

Maybe it might be just a simple fix like this after all?

I have noticed a few posts that come up through google with the reset issue, some people say it's either hdd, hdmi, power supply related?

But never seen anyone try and replace just the power cable, to try and resolve this.

5. sa

savstar Newbie BANNED
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Just to give you another update on my issue with the console resetting.

Unfortunately i've just experienced the console restart yet again while playing black ops 2 online.

The console just rebooted and had taken me back to the dashboard, seems a very strange issue, as I thought it may have just been a faulty power cable connected to the dvd drive. However the issue must lie even deeper than this.

The dvd drive itself maybe defective I suppose, there has to be some reason the console is restarting intermittently.

Maybe when the drive flashed past 9504 firmware to 2702 via the dashboard update and then locked, maybe it lies within the firmware?

Because the xk3y works flawless in Emulation mode, just not within Passthru mode or when I use the drive normally.

Doe's anyone know if I could solder a micro sd adapter to the pins on the xkey sd card reader, so I can then just insert a micro sd card into the micro sd adapter and use it that way. The issue is that the silver sd card shielding came loose and has since broken apart, and I now only have the 8 pins of the micro sd card slot exposed, there is no way, I can fix it back together.

This is why I was thinking of hard wiring the micro sd card with my firmware directly to the micro sd card pins on the xkey, just that i've never known for anyone to do this, or have tried this, to know that it will work.

If anyone can give me any tips on how to fix this, your help would be truly appreciated.

Thank you ;)

6. sa

savstar Newbie BANNED
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Just to give you another update on my issue with the console resetting.

Unfortunately i've just experienced the console restart yet again while playing black ops 2 online.

The console just rebooted and had taken me back to the dashboard, seems a very strange issue, as I thought it may have just been a faulty power cable connected to the dvd drive. However the issue must lie even deeper than this.

The dvd drive itself maybe defective I suppose, there has to be some reason the console is restarting intermittently.

Maybe when the drive flashed past 9504 firmware to 2702 via the dashboard update and then locked, maybe it lies within the firmware?

Because the xk3y works flawless in Emulation mode, just not within Passthru mode or when I use the drive normally.

Doe's anyone know if I could solder a micro sd adapter to the pins on the xkey sd card reader, so I can then just insert a micro sd card into the micro sd adapter and use it that way. The issue is that the silver sd card shielding came loose and has since broken apart, and I now only have the 8 pins of the micro sd card slot exposed, there is no way, I can fix it back together.

This is why I was thinking of hard wiring the micro sd card with my firmware directly to the micro sd card pins on the xkey, just that i've never known for anyone to do this, or have tried this, to know that it will work.

If anyone can give me any tips on how to fix this, your help would be truly appreciated.

Thank you ;)

7. sa

savstar Newbie BANNED
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Tried hard wiring my 2gb micro sd card directly to some small PCB wires, and wired the other end to the solder pads directly on the xk3y PCB. This unfortunately did not work for me, as I think I bridged 2 connections accidentally. The flashing blue light on the xk3y was still present.

So I will try and clean up the solder pads on the xk3y PCB and try another day, when I have some soldering braid and rubbing alcohol.

This is my 2nd micro sd card that has been wasted, trying to accomplish this now LOL.

If my next attempt fails, then it looks like the £70 xk3y will only be fit for one purpose and that will be the bin!

I wish the team behind xk3y would have made it much more sturdier and maybe had a better type of connection for adding your firmware to it. Preferably via USB and not crappy micro SD media.

I may just purchase a 9504 drive unlocked from EBAY and just flash LT 3.0 to it, seems a much viable option to get my console working correctly again.