[TUT] Level Up Quickly - Using Weapon Kill Challenges.

ReapzUK Apr 23, 2012

1. ReapzUK

ReapzUK Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Before any member's say this is a copy and paste it's not this topic is one of my Stickies on another forum I use thought I'd share with XPG..​

I basically put this in a video for those that dont like reading.

There are plenty of ways to enable you to quickly level in COD games, past and present. One key to leveling that has always been there but may have been ignored in the past is weapon kill challenges. I saw a commentary on YouTube recently where the commentator said that what you need to do is complete the 250-, 500-, and 1,000-kill challenges for a weapon, then move on to a new weapon, to maximize the amount of XP you are earning from weapon kills. While this was good advice, and it got me thinking about this more directly, it isnt 100% accurate.

So lets look at an example. Lets say, hypothetically, you are just starting out playing MW3. The strategy I will lay out works whether or not this is the case, but for specificity purposes the scenario I picked is that you are just starting out.

I want to maximize the XP I can earn from my first 4,000 weapon kills. And Ill repeat that so we dont get confused, this is all about my first 4,000 weapon kills, so kills with equipment, grenades, and killstreaks do not count into this scenario - we are discussing the completion of weapon kill challenges.

Ideally, if you only complete the 250-, and 500-kill challenges for a weapon, then moving on to a new weapon, you will earn 100,000 in challenge XP from completing those challenges. Again, that 100,000 XP was earned as a result of achieving 4,000 weapon kills. Earning 100,000 challenge XP for 4,000 kills means you will earn an average of 25.0 challenge XP per Kill, rewarded in lump sums after you earn your 250th and 500th kill with a weapon.

Now, lets say you followed the commentators advice, completing the 250-, 500-, and 1,000-kill challenges for a weapon before you move on to a new weapon. You would earn, over the same 4,000 kills, just 90,000 XP. This means you will earn an average of 22.5 challenge XP per Kill, rewarded in lump sums after you earn your 250th, 500th, and 1,000th kill with a weapon. How is this possible?? Its possible because the last 500 kills you achieve to complete the 1,000-kill challenge only earns you 20.0 challenge XP per kill, all awarded after your 1,000th kill, which drags your average down to the 1/2-way mark between what you earn on your first 500 kills (25.0 challenge XP per kill) and what you earn on your first 500 kills (20.0 challenge XP per kill), or in other words the weighted average challenge XP per kill, calculated as: 25 x (500 / 1,000) + 20.0 x (500 / 1,000).

Now just for completion purposes, suppose you are really lazy and after you complete the 250-kill challenge you move on to a new gun. In this case you would earn even less XP over the same 4,000 kills we have been discussing than if you completed the 250-, 500-, and 1,000-kill challenges. Over 4,000 kills, if you only complete the 250-kill challenge, then move on to a new weapon, you would only earn 80,000 challenge XP, which averages out to just 20.0 challenge XP per kill, awarded in a lump sum after your 250th kill with a weapon.

So what are the trade-offs? Well, if you go all the way and complete the 1,000-kill challenge with a weapon then you would become very familiar with that weapons characteristics such as its recoil and whatnot, making you a very efficient killer with that weapon. Being a more efficient killer might translate to you earning additional XP in other way, such as defending objectives more easily, or just getting more kills in general (like those that you could earn from going on a fatty kill streak with the Assault strike package). So if you arent the kind of player that can pick up weapon after weapon and make them work, then maybe just stopping at your 500th kill isnt for you. But still after 500 kills you should pretty familiar with a weapon. All I'm saying is if you go to 1,000 kills with a weapon while you are trying to level quickly you will be wasting your time to some degree.

So hopefully people found this useful. If anyone knows the commentator I am discussing as the predecessor for this analysis I just want to make it clear that I have nothing but respect for that guy. He is a great commentator, makes fantastic videos, and I know that if I played COD and worked on my YouTube channel until I was 40 it wouldnt be 1/10th as good as his. So, to this commentator I want to say thank you for starting my mind down this path and ultimately allowing me to impart additional knowledge onto the IPC community and the COD community as a whole.

Please Thank the Post if this Helped.

Leave comments if you gottem!

2. ReapzUK

ReapzUK Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Wow Come on guys some feedback would be nice. <_<