Top Open World Games to Look Out for in 2018

Grizzy Feb 28, 2018

1. Grizzy

Grizzy
    Administrator
    XPG Administrator
    5/47

[​IMG]

I love open world games. Ever since I played Morrowind I was hooked on the sense of freedom, adventure, and possibility that open world games create. There are some great looking ones coming out this year, all very different in their style and story, but all allowing the player to explore to their heart's content.

Here is my list of four open world games that I’m looking forward to coming out (hopefully!) in 2018.

Crackdown 3

[​IMG]
    Brought to you by Microsoft, Crackdown 3 is a third-person action-packed open-world adventure game, full of guns and explosions. It features a single player campaign, and multiplayer co-op. To quote the publishing studio’s general manager, “it is an incredibly ambitious project that pushes the technological envelope with immersive true 4k gameplay, cloud-computing competitive multiplayer and a sprawling and futuristic open world”.

View: https://youtu.be/k_9fG8hPCi0

And check out Crackdown 3 on XPG's YouTube channel as part of the video on the top Xbox exclusives coming in 2018!

View: https://youtu.be/BbKGLENpI2k

After it was first announced in 2014, Crackdown 3 was expected to be released in 2016, and then it was also expected to launch with the Xbox One X after that... But I'll give the developers the benefit of the doubt and assume that due to the high expectations of fans (to actually provide a good game), its release was delayed until this spring of 2018. Hopefully, they’ll make it worth the wait. As I mention above, this game will be an Xbox exclusive.

Far Cry 5

[​IMG]
    With the continuous success of the Far Cry series, this 5th iteration seeks to continue the pattern, complete with the same messed-up, psychotic antagonist just like the other games before it. This first-person shooter action adventure starts you off as the sheriff’s deputy in a fictional county in Montana. It will be up to you to maintain the peace, neutralize a crazy cult, and discover the open-world that is Hope County.

Far Cry 5 is expected to release on March 27, 2018. It is being developed by Ubisoft, the very same developers that brought us many (often glitch-ridden) "triple-A" titles like: Assasin’s Creed, RainbowSix, and let's not forget -- the Heroes of Might and Magic franchise! The game will include a single player mode, multiplayer, co-op, and it will be available for PS4, Xbox One, and PC.

Biomutant

[​IMG]

Imagine cute little furry animals roaming the world without humans. Now arm them with jetpacks, swords, guns, wings, and other cool stuff, that’s what Biomutant is all about. It is a 3rd person action RPG where you get to play as the badass koala/racoon pictured above... who also has an eyepatch so he's extra badass-y.

The game is set in a post-apocalyptic world where Kung-Fu is mixed with mutant ability skills. You can even re-code your genetic structure in order to change and customize your playstyle. Biomutant also involves a detailed crafting system, which is always an important feature in open world games. But what makes this one of the most anticipated games for 2018 is its unusual story that promises an unusual end. Make sure you don’t miss its release sometime this year on PS4, Xbox One, and PC.

Anthem

[​IMG]

Anthem is an online multiplayer RPG currently being developed by BioWare which is awesome, and is being published by EA which makes me nervous... The supposed release date was in 2018 but was recently moved to "by March" of 2019...

I'm still holding out hope that it will make it in around the holidays this year! However with the massive feedback coming from its eager fans, it has come to the attention of BioWare that they need to make the game as perfect as possible and as accurate as the trailers have portrayed it to be.

It is a third-person shooting game in which you explore an open-world as a "freelancer" -- an individual tasked with safeguarding humanity and exploring the perilous lands outside the wall of Fort Tarsis." Discover new technologies and forgotten treasures. Fight off savage beasts and fierce marauders. Play in single player mode or get a group of four for its co-operative campaign. Save humanity and be rewarded.

Even if it doesn't release until early 2019, this is definitely a game you want to watch this year, especially in June as the developers have promised us an inside look at E3 or EA's Play event. Whenever it's released it'll be available for PS4, Xbox One, and PC.

There is a plethora of upcoming open-world games coming out in the near future, but be warned about pre-ordering...

While -theoretically- publishers provide a pre-purchase option in the hopes that it will help them enhance the quality of the game while in development, other publishers provide this option just to get something out of an underdeveloped, incomplete, bug-filled game (Ubisoft I'm looking at you ;)).

2. emperor515

emperor515 Newbie
    5/47

Console:
    Xbox
    I really hope that biomutant will be interesting gameplay. Trailer looks very cool.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. WrenchJunkie

WrenchJunkie Newbie
    5/47

Console:
    Playstation 4
    Open world games to me give you more on your terms content and is never ending to where other games seems like u beat in 2 hrs. Nice post

• Agree Agree x 1