Not open for further replies.

The Last of Us: First review hails 'contender for best game this gen'

xpghax May 31, 2013

1. xpghax

xpghax Gold Section Mod/Uploader
    135/188

Console:
    Other
    Leaked early review claims the Naughty Dog title could give games its "Citizen Kane moment"

Film publication Empire has published a review for The Last of Us days ahead of its embargo, claiming that Naughty Dog's latest game is "an easy contender for the best game of this console generation".

The publication has since removed its review from the site (coverage is under embargo until June 5), but not before the review circulated online.
    "The Last of Us is not just the finest game that Naughty Dog has yet crafted and an easy contender for the best game of this console generation," read the review, as quoted by VideoGamer.

"It may also prove to be gaming's Citizen Kane moment."
    [​IMG]
    The publication said Naughty Dog's upcoming survival action adventure was "a masterpiece that will be looked back upon favorably for decades".

Sony has confirmed The Last of Us release date as June 14 worldwide. A playable The Last of Us demo included with God of War: Ascension is now live.

Naughty Dog has said it isn't planning to create a brand new engine for its its PS4 projects. Instead it will make tweaks to its current engine, which means Naughty Dog's debut PS4 project will be built from the same engine as The Last of Us.

Small Review Below

Exclusive To PlayStation 3
    It doesn't take much exposure to The Last of Us before you realize that Naughty Dog's game is more than just Uncharted meets The Road. Sure, you could call it an action-adventure, and there are elements of Uncharted in the cinematic presentation, the fluid in-game dialogue, the way your playable character, Joel, runs and climbs. Yet in its own way, this is the Uncharted developer's take on survival horror, though here survival means more than just conserving ammo to gun down zombies, while the horror is more in the game's bleak tone than in the usual sudden shocks and scares.

[​IMG]

The first part of a new playable demo set in Lincoln, Nebraska rings the changes pretty quickly. Following a brief woodland preamble to introduce Joel and his teenage companion, Ellie, we get our first taste of the game's post-apocalyptic urban landscapes, and of what the gameplay actually involves. Some of it is oddly mundane - collecting supplies from abandoned stores, moving planks around to bridge gaps - but the core of the game lies in traversal, stealth and combat, using a combination of all three to get Joel and Ellie where they need to go.

The Last of Us - Combat
    Our first taste of fighting is a brutal shock. Not quick enough to defend himself, Joel falls prey to one of the mutant clickers in a sudden assault, a chunk of neck rather gruesomely torn away with a single bite. Lessons learnt, we explore our options, smacking the clicker with a thrown brick, then rushing in to finish the job with an improvised club. The Last of Us goes big on bottles, bricks and melee weapons, the former aimed by squeezing the L1 button and thrown with a pull of R1, the latter wielded with quick tapes of the square button.

[​IMG]

Before the demo ends we get a chance to play with shotguns, handguns and bows as well, each one dishing out a satisfying amount of damage, but each hampered by some weakness - low ammo capacity, slow reload times - that means you need to think carefully about each and every shot. This isn't the Hollywood violence of Naughty Dog's normal adventures, but something more demanding and intelligent. The violence in The Last of Us will be controversial for its blunt, sometimes shocking presentation, but you get the sense that it isn't being shown gratuitously, but to ensure that it doesn't lose its impact.

[​IMG]

More obstacles, traps and fights await, including a brilliant set-piece that sees Joel all but defenceless while Ellie struggles to get him free. Playing The Last of Us two things strike you. Firstly, Ellie rivals Bioshock Infinite's Elizabeth as a believable and genuinely useful companion. Alternately nervous, reckless, frightened and curious, she doesn't need constant micromanagement - you can't order her around - and she helps you with last-minute attacks on life-threatening mutants with whatever lays to hand. Secondly, The Last of Us can be almost unbearably tense. Lurking in deserted buildings, listening keenly for possible threats - the game's way of helping you keep track of foes in the vicinity - the atmosphere is almost nerve-wracking.

The Last of Us - Graphics and Pacing
    Naughty Dog's technical expertise is very much in evidence; this is a stunning-looking game. The combination of wrecked urban scenery and lush vegetation works brilliantly, and the harsh, oddly grainy lighting and murky lens effects give it the feel of a gritty seventies sci-fi movie. Joel and Ellie are superbly modelled and animated, and the detail is impressive everywhere you look. There are areas - the lifeless trees, some slightly overblown effects - that remind you that this isn't a next-gen game, but this is certainly as good as you're going to see on a current generation machine.

[​IMG]

It's also expertly paced. Tension leads to panic and panic leads to some frantic situations, with the normally spare soundtrack ramping up to match. The Last of Us isn't afraid to take a quiet moment to develop character relationships, but it knows when to pack in the action and drama.

The Last of Us - Under Fire in Detroi
    The second section takes us to industrial Detroit, putting Joel and Ellie slap-bang in the middle of an ambush. This is where we get more of a feel for the combat, and also for the game's approach to stealth. Basically, The Last of Us makes things hard for run-and-gun players, and in some cases the key is to use stealth and take out your enemies one by one.

[​IMG]

By crouching and moving slowly you automatically move in and out of cover, then intuitively spring from hiding to lamp an enemy with a solid two-by-four or blast them point-blank with a shotgun. Enemies will pursue you while you're noisy or in their line of sight, but breaking that line or sneaking around gives you a chance to escape their vigilance, sneak around and get in close. Strike quickly, and you can get a few blows in before hitting the triangle button for a context-sensitive finishing move.

[​IMG]

Get some breathing space and you can also use the game's crafting systems, using scraps of tape, blades and other bits to construct more powerful melee weapons, or even that ever-versatile prison favourite, the shiv. There are even situations where you can avoid combat altogether, though playing things too safe might mean missing out on some useful items.

The Last of Us - First Impressions
    Even from this brief sample, it’s clear that Naughty Dog has something special here: a late bloom for the PS3 with PS4 just on the horizon. Based on the evidence, this is a dark, gritty, mature piece of work, and likely to be one of the most thrilling games this year.

2. NaCLy AF

NaCLy AF Lifetime Gold Lifetime Gold
    235/282

Console:
    Xbox One
    Can't wait to play it!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

3. XPG Darkside

XPG Darkside Eating cake.... Gold Subscriber Lifetime Gold
    460/564

Eating cake.
    Console:
    Xbox One
    Aww man this looks sweet shame I don't have a ps3 :(

4. andygee1987

andygee1987 XPGEE Lifetime Gold
    0/47

Console:
    Playstation 4
    can't wait for this!! was hoping to play demo today but a mate i lent god of war to as gone on holiday :why: :why: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

5. DO

DOPEBOI Gold Member Gold Subscriber
    0/47

Console:
    Other
    So glad I bought a ps3 super slim for this. :D

6. NaCLy AF

235/282

Console:
    Xbox One
    can't wait for this!! was hoping to play demo today but a mate i lent god of war to as gone on holiday :why: :why: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:
    cmon man how can you let somebody borrow the game and now you gonna miss the demo?

So glad I bought a ps3 super slim for this. :D
    same here :LOl:

7. Fallen Predator

Fallen Predator Lifetime Gold Lifetime Gold
    135/188

Console:
    Playstation 4
    Wish i had ps3 LOL, Looks like a good game.

8. andygee1987

0/47

Console:
    Playstation 4
    cmon man how can you let somebody borrow the game and now you gonna miss the demo?

same here :LOl:

I have no idea, i'm pure kicking my self today!! Lent him it 2 weeks ago and forgot all about it! He isn't back till friday :why:

9. NaCLy AF

235/282

Console:
    Xbox One
    I have no idea, i'm pure kicking my self today!! Lent him it 2 weeks ago and forgot all about it! He isn't back till friday :why:
    i will let you know how good the demo is :lmfao:

10. andygee1987

0/47

Console:
    Playstation 4
    Damn you!! :lol: two weeks till release so not got too long to wait. Would cry in to my pillow if it was longer :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.