SteamOS: Download the Steam OS here

Bullet Dec 14, 2013

1. Bu

Bullet Guest

SteamOS Beta is the first public release of our Linux-based operating system. The base system draws from Debian 7, code named Debian Wheezy. Our work builds on top of the solid Debian core and optimizes it for a living room experience. Most of all, it is an open Linux platform that leaves you in full control. You can take charge of your system and install new software or content that you want.

What are the SteamOS Hardware Requirements?

Processor:

Intel or AMD 64-bit capable processor

Memory:

4GB or more RAM

Hard Drive:

500GB or larger disk

Video Card:

NVIDIA graphics card

(AMD and Intel graphics support coming soon!)

Additional:

UEFI boot support

USB port for installation

Default Installation
    You will need to create a SteamOS System Restore USB stick to perform this install. The image provided here requires at least a 1TB disk.
    1. Download the default SteamOS beta installation
    2. Format a 4GB or larger USB stick with the FAT32 filesystem. Use "SYSRESTORE" as the partition name.
    3. Unzip the contents of SYSRESTORE.zip to this USB stick to create the System Restore USB stick.
    4. Put the System Restore USB stick in your target machine. Boot your machine and tell the BIOS to boot off the stick. (usually something like F8, F11 or F12 will bring up the BIOS boot menu).
    5. Make sure you select the UEFI entry, it may look something like "UEFI: Patriot Memory PMAP". If there is no UEFI entry, you may need to enable UEFI support in your BIOS setup.
    6. Select "Restore Entire Disk" from the GRUB menu.
    7. When it is complete it will shutdown. Power on the machine to boot into your freshly re-imaged SteamOS.

Download:

Use the official HTTP link or the unofficial BAN-ME-PLEASE (thanks Ac-town!) (please seed) to download the 960 MB installer
    Compare checksums to the ones provided by Valve before installing files downloaded from third parties: MD5 / SHA512

NOTE: The download speed may be slow due to how many people are downloading.

2. KillerVidz

KillerVidz Rocky BANNED
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox One
    Nice find mate :D

3. Yumiyashi

Yumiyashi © Grey Horse Pr0n Lifetime Gold XPG Retired Staff
    55/94

Console:
    Xbox
    Sweet, forgot the date they were releasing the OS. Going to try this later in the week to see if is good. I would say this would most likely work way better on the actual steambox though.

4. vl

vladxd Newbie
    0/47

I just don t get one thing,am i only able to play steam games with this os or i can play other games?