[REQ] Good compiler.

Wallsch Jun 3, 2012

1. Wallsch

Wallsch Gold Member Gold Subscriber Lifetime Gold
    0/47

Console:
    Computer
    What is the best C++ compiler out right now? I'm new to C++ but I'm trying to learn and I need a compiler to do so. I'm on Windows 7.

2. JTAGMINECRAFT

JTAGMINECRAFT Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox

3. Wallsch

Wallsch Gold Member Gold Subscriber Lifetime Gold
    185/188

Console:
    Computer
    Thanks but Dev C++ hasn't been working for me... Any others?

4. Ta

Taylzx Guest

5. Pu

Public Rookie
    20/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Use Visual Studio. It has everything you'll ever need and requires no setup other then installing. MS also has a ton of documentation for it through MSDN.

6. au

auris331 Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Other
    I recommend netbeans, most of other compilers weren't updated for a few years

7. Ve

Vektyr Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    The biggest issue here is everyone is recommending and providing links to Integrated Development Environments (IDEs), when you actually requested a good compiler. I also would recommend working directly with the compiler to better learn the translations from code to object code to assembled application, as it will help you out further down the road when it comes to it.

There are many compilers and forks of popular ones, but really there are only TWO compilers you should really work with and learn.

GNU GCC is a very popular open-source compiler for both C and C++ used on Unix/Linux based Operating Systems, for the Windows version you would need the MingGW environment to utilize it. This link will get you started: http://www.mingw.org/wiki/InstallationHOWTOforMinGW (Also note that NetBeans uses this GNU GCC Compiler for C/C++)

Microsoft Visual C++ is an excellent IDE, which comes packaged with their C/C++ compiler and some libraries. It is definitely a great tool to learn, and a great environment to work in. You can find more about their free version here: http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/eng/downloads#d-2010-express