PS4 has up to 5.5GB of RAM

XPG Darkside Jul 26, 2013

1. XPG Darkside

XPG Darkside Eating cake.... Gold Subscriber Lifetime Gold
    460/564

Eating cake.
    Console:
    Xbox One
    Digital Foundry has been handed an internal PS4 document by a “well-placed development source,” which states the system reserves 3.5GB of its 8GB GDDR5 memory for the operating system, which would leave around 4.5GB of space for game code.

Other sources have told EG that an additional 1GB of “flexible memory” is reclaimable from the OS reservation.

[​IMG]

I know nothing when it comes to specs. I know how much space is left on my PC hard drive because I can see the numbers. That’s it.

In short, if I try to discuss anything technological I will come off as an idiot (shocking!) so I will just leave the main bits from the EG article below and not try to analyze anything for you. Plus, it might make me cry to try.

According to the report, Sony’s internal documents state 4.5GB is “the baseline amount of guaranteed memory available for game-makers and most likely what the lion’s share of launch titles will be using.”

However, other sources close to the console maker state developers can “request up to an additional gigabyte of “flexible memory”, and use it to boost elements of the game – but only if the background OS can spare it.”

Such a request isn’t “trivial,” and at the start it will probably only be made available to first-party developers.

The normal mode setting for devkits shows 4.5GB of memory is usable, and the large mode increases this to 5.25GB – but the extra RAM here is “only available for application development.”

Yeah. My brain hurts already, so for the full thing and how this compares to Xbox One and what it means for you – as a gamer – head on through the link for the full thing.

Both consoles are out sometime in November.

Source VG247.