Official Video of Violence in Video Games

Grizzy Mar 17, 2018

1. Grizzy

Grizzy
    Administrator
    XPG Administrator
    115/188

[​IMG]

Last week I wrote an article highlighting the President of the United States’ meeting with some of the biggest names in gaming production and regulation following yet another mass murder in an American school. Check out the article here for the full list of who was in attendance at this meeting.

Here is the montage of violent gaming moments the White House edited together and showed at this meeting to (I assume) illustrate their point that there is virtual violence in video games. The video doesn’t discuss the correlation (if any) between virtual violence and violence in reality, nor does it highlight the ESRB content warnings for the games, or the fact they the supreme court has ruled that video games are protected under the US Constitution's First Amendment.

“This is violent isn’t it” Trump asked before showing this clip that is now posted on the White House’s official YouTube channel... And that was the only introduction or context for these handpicked scenes.

If you didn’t recognize the games, this video includes clips from Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Wolfenstein, Dead by Daylight, Sniper Elite, and Fallout 4, -- remember the CEO of Zenimax was in attendance.

I’ve already shared my thoughts in the previous article, so I wanted to highlight the response of two US Senators to this meeting -- a Republican and a Democrat.

Florida Senator Marco Rubio (Republican) acknowledged there is no evidence linking violent video games to the tragedy in Parkland (the most recent US school shooting). And The Washington Post reports he went on to say that he wants to ensure “parents are aware of the resources available to them to monitor and control the entertainment their children are exposed to.”

And I’ll end with Connecticut Senator Richard Blumenthal's comments because I think they cut to the point of this silly charade:

“Focusing entirely on video games distracts from the substantive debate we should be having about how to take guns out of the hands of dangerous people ... Blaming video games or the entertainment media for the 90 American lives lost every single day to gun violence is an unacceptable excuse to avoid talking about serious policy proposals.”

• Like Like x 1