Microsoft Acquires Household Control Tech Will the Next Xbox Be Able To Control Your Entire House?

Rocky Jan 3, 2013

1. Ro

Rocky Guest

In what could be something of a big old coup for the next-generation Xbox, Microsoft has acquired home entertainment technology company id8 Group R2 Studios, despite rival bids for the firm from Apple and Google. That's according to The Wall Street Journal (via The Verge), who report the move will "beef up" the Xbox division.

The acquisition brings with it a host of patents, most notable of which are devices and software that ties together various household technology, potentially enabling users to control gadgets around the house. Popping the kettle on while playing Halo could at last become a reality! Maybe...

It's entirely possible that Microsoft could be planning some sort of control interface using Xbox SmartGlass for instance, with Kinect 2 probably slotting somewhere into the equation too. Other patents for the next-gen Xbox also includes something that can theoretically project interactive images all over your playing space. Hmm... we still prefer the ability to turn on the kettle with our controller. Make it happen, Microsoft!

Source - X360A

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  2. Wo

Wolfmaster5 Newbie
    25/47

Console:
    Xbox
    false just a rumor. I'll have more info on this when i ask my boss and yes I'm not impersonating an XBL PET Member like another site I know off thinks I am, either ask and i'll answer but under Xbox LIVE Terms and Condition's and the Code of Conduct I can't say much

3. Wo

Wolfmaster5 Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    I'm talking about the home control thing

4. ni

nikeymikey Member
    25/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Shudup killjoy..... It may be a rumour but who cares..... The ideas sound great for all us lazy asses who cant be bothered to get up lol

5. ni

nikeymikey Member
    25/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Shudup killjoy..... It may be a rumour but who cares..... The ideas sound great for all us lazy asses who cant be bothered to get up lol