1. Bi

Bisouchenk Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Other
    So, I Flash'd my DVD Drive (One of the first Lite-On ones) a long time ago (Probably 2, maybe 3 years was the last time), and I haven't played it all that much (Bought a New Slim).

Anyway, the Slim broke on me and I decided to get back into the Modding scene. Problem is, I have been away from it so long I don't know what to do. I'm basically lost.

First of all, it's a Phat version (One of the first) and the Dashboard hasn't been updated in an equally long time (I stopped going online with it when I modded).

So, my question is - What is the best/easiest option?

Is xKey worth it? It seems pretty ideal for me (No Burning, play games on HDD etc.) but I'm not sure if it requires me to Flash back to my original firmware to update the Xbox itself or what? And it's rather expensive ($110)

I have NO intentions of going online with this console, it's simply a backup.

I'm thinking of Flashing back to my original Firmware in a second and updating the Dashboard/XBOX Console itself.. If I do that, will I have any issues with any option?

Right now, I think I've narrowed it down to two options xKey - Or what I was doing originally, just Flashing the Drive (I've heard of other things, RGH etc. but I haven't looked into them at all).

Any help would be appreciated.

2. AD

ADDZ Guest

Have a look at the dash version to see if it can be Jtagged, if not and it has a HDMI port on it then it can be RGH as long as it's not on the latest dash.

Dumping the LiteOn now needs a probe but you have the key so that's all good, you wil need an iHas PC/Laptop drive to burn XGD3 games.

3. begallegal1

begallegal1 Medicine Man Lifetime Gold TeamXPG
    235/282

Console:
    Xbox
    With an unupdated box you pretty much have your choice of options, with this box and your intended use I would look into RGH a bit more before deciding (if HDMI model,not xenon motherboard) the benefits out way any other setup out, the only real reason to have a flashed or xkey box is for cheap online play in my opinion

4. nnn

nnn XPG Fanatic (I'm very awesome!)
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Both Begallegal1 and ADDZ are right ;)

5. Bi

Bisouchenk Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Other
    Don't those two options require more work than a simple xKey or drive flash?

6. AD

ADDZ Guest

They do but it's worth it for an offline xbox that will play games from the HDD and allow you to run mods or even make it look beter via custom skins ect

7. Bi

Bisouchenk Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Other

Not really interested in that, to be honest.. What I'm mainly interested in is the ability to backup and play games without the need for burning. xKey seems to support this, and it looks fairly easy to install.

RGH does this too (And a ton of other things) but it requires more work, and the other stuff I'm not really interested in at the moment.

Since I'm basically new to this (Again, my experience with modding goes to Flashing my XBOX360 Drive and no further) I'm looking for something fairly simple.

Is the xKey/Drive Flashing simply no good anymore?

8. Wallsch

Wallsch Gold Member Gold Subscriber Lifetime Gold
    185/188

Console:
    Computer
    People here will help you set up your RGH and it'l be easy pretty quick for the use you want. Yes Xk3y is simple but I still recommend RGH.

9. darksta

darksta Starkiller Lifetime Gold
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    RGH is the best option imo and you can go that one step further by having a DemoN installed and have one nand for backup and FSD and the other for online gameplay which is what I do.

10. Bi

Bisouchenk Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Other
    I'll be honest.. I saw the word 'solder' and just turn away from RGH. Simply because there is an option out there (xKey) that doesn't require it.

Now, I bet you'll tell me there is a No Solder option for RGH..

11. darksta

darksta Starkiller Lifetime Gold
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Nope, but there is plenty of RGH out there that is cheap to get hold of and it's already updated so you don't need to flash it ;D

12. extraginger

extraginger Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    As far as I'm aware of, no matter what route you take with the RGH you will have to solder at one point although It's not difficult and can be done easily. As well the tools required are cheap so that's probably your best bet to be honest.

13. tE

tEcHN0 Guest

I have an xkey on my retail and it's amazing ;)