Hex Editing Help

EyesOnly Feb 23, 2012

1. EyesOnly

EyesOnly Uploading Now... Gold Subscriber
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Im trying to edit a save and i have a test String that is 8 characters long and i need to replace it with a String that is 14 characters long can i just using simple find and replace in hex work shop ?

there reason I'm posting i didn't know if you could replace a string or a decimal that's longer than the original.

I hope ive explain well enough to get help. I would post file im trying to edit but the string im replacing is personal info linked to gamer tag and i don't really want to upload to internet for everyone.

2. FeralA9X

FeralA9X The EX-Terminator XPG Administrator
    430/564

Console:
    Xbox
    all you can do is try but it may corrupt the save, make a backup and test it out. if it doesnt work change the personal string to a random word and then upload for us to take a look at ;)

3. EyesOnly

165/188

Console:
    Xbox
    Im just testing something out now and if it dont work i will upload with a fake String

4. EyesOnly

165/188

Console:
    Xbox
    Ive made a second account and a new save so its got a different string now. I need to change where it says "BlackSite TEST" to my gamertag without breaking the save.

http://www.mediafire.com/?g0egi6912w1c9lp

5. Ji

JizzaBeez The One and Only
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    This will not work if the data is supposed to be a certain size. If there is no set size, then it may work.
    But if this is all of the data extracted from the gamesave then it should be possible.

- If you notice in the data, before each string is the string's length represented by an int32 (4 byte value).
    - Each string is null-terminated (ends with "00" in hex) and this null byte is included in the string's length.

1) Extract the savedata from the gamesave. (makes it easier to edit)
    2) REPLACE the string (including null byte) with the new string (including null byte),
    3) Then you will need to change that string's length to the new string's length (including null byte).
    4) Inject the savedata back into the gamesave overwriting the old savedata. (the tool you use has to update the file table with the savedata's new filesize or it will not work)

6. EyesOnly

165/188

Console:
    Xbox
    It worked i edited the save and injected back in loads perfect now shame none of the achievement will unlock for some reason even got a few kills etc nothing popping.

thanks for help JizzaBeez