Fallout 4 PC Discs Don't Contain Full Data, Partial Steam Download Required

N5F Oct 25, 2015

1. N5F

N5F XPG Donator
    55/94

Console:
    Xbox
    Players who purchase a physical copy of Fallout 4 on PC will be required to download a portion of the game from Steam, as the disc doesn't contain the full data required to install it.
    In various Twitter posts, Bethesda boss Pete Hines responded to questions regarding the contents of the Fallout 4 PC disc.
    "[Fallout 4 on PC] comes with a disc and a steam authentication key. if you don't have a DVD drive, you can just use the [Steam] key," he explained. "The game disc has actual install data ... though you will still have to download from Steam. The disc doesn't contain the entire game."
    He explained why the content had been split in this way, in comparison to the console versions, Hines noted that "PC requires activation on Steam" while "console does not." He added the console versions "ship on Blu-rays, PC ships on DVDs."
    Hines also stated piracy as one of the reasons and, responding to an irate follower suggesting this would only encourage piracy, said this strategy has been the norm for Bethesda for numerous years.
    "We've been doing it this way more or less for 10+ years. Seems to be doing ok. Lots of people bought Skyrim, Wolfenstein, etc ... This isn't new. We have been doing this for all our PC games for a while now."
    Fallout 4 is expected to be released on November 10 across PC, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4. Bethesda recently published the last episode in its "S.P.E.C.I.A.L." video series, showing how a little luck can get you far in the Wasteland.
    Bethesda's online store is holding a week-long Fallout-themed sale dubbed the Great War Sale Event. Along with discounts, new Fallout-branded merchandise will be introduced throughout the week. So far, a very snazzy Xbox One controller has been revealed.
    Meanwhile the event on the Bethesda online store is in motion, there are discounts on the Fallout franchise on Steam.
    Some of the best deals include:
    Fallout 3 Game of the Year Edition -- $10
    Fallout 3 -- $3.39
    Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Edition -- $10
    Fallout: New Vegas -- $3.39
    Fallout Tactics -- $3.39
    Those that preorder Fallout 4 on Steam will also get a free Mister Handy announcer pack for Dota 2. Head to the Fallout Franchise Steam Sale page here to see everything that's on sale this weekend.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2015
  2. milldogtjm

milldogtjm TeamXPG For Life Lifetime Gold
    55/94

A Student of Gaming
    Console:
    Xbox One
    <span>"Players who purchase a physical copy of Fallout 4 on PC will be required to download a portion of the game from Steam, as the disc doesn't contain the full data required to install it." dam them , I told them it would beeasier and cheaper to puteverythingonto one blue-raydisc then it would be to have the game install files split. I told them all about this, earlierin their beta process in multiple emails, it seems they ignored me again.</span>