Elder Scrolls Online announced! An MMO set in the world of Skyrim

xpghax May 3, 2012

1. xpghax

xpghax Gold Section Mod/Uploader
    0/47

Console:
    Other
    [​IMG]

Elder Scrolls Online has just been announced, to the pretend shock of people who definitely didn’t already know that was happening. It’s being made by Zenimax Online Studios, the studio founded by Bethesda’s parent company to develop massively multiplayer games. There have been a lot of rumours that Elder Scrolls Online was going to be their first game, but this is the first time we’ve heard anything concrete.

This will also be the first time the Elder Scrolls universe has been the setting for anything other than a singleplayer game. We know very little about it so far, though Game Informer have started to trickle out the details. So far they’ve revealed that it’s “set a millennium before the events of Skyrim as the daedric prince Molag Bal tries to pull all of Tamriel into his demonic realm.” The game will also include vast PvP conflicts between three factions, in which players will fight for the Emperor’s throne, as well as “solo questing” and “public dungeons”.

Most exciting: the first teaser trailer is due to hit tomorrow morning. Read on for a bit more mad speculation.

That still leaves a lot of questions unanswered. Will there be long queues to enter instanced oblivion gates? Will there be a crafting system that relies on every player stuffing hundreds of lettuces and calipers in their pockets? There’s bound to be more information in the coming weeks as everyone prepares for E3. And for now, we can stare at the image we made above and let our imaginations run wild.

If you’re one of the many who aren’t yet done venturing through Skyrim though, try out our best Skyrim mods story.

Are you excited at the chance to play a Skyrim-style game with your friends, or would you rather venture through Bethesda’s worlds on your own?

2. Shadow

Shadow Watchers Staff Member XPG Moderator
    430/564

Floating in Space having a beer with the guy who d
    Console:
    Xbox One
    i hope it will b like Dead island co-op mode now that would b Best! think of it ure playing skyrim with 2-3 m8 den u get a message so ure reading it when yr m8s is running around like headless ass trying to kill 2 dragons!! lol now that would b funny has hell.

3. Ta

Taylzx Guest

omfg! this is gonna be amazing!

4. ESCGuardian

ESCGuardian Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    well looking forward to this, they better not screw it up, i'm a massive fan of MMORPG's been playing warcraft, rift, SWTOR and not forgetting Conan for what feels like forever, will have to play GW2 also but when ESO is released it shall be mine, and teaming up with any of you guys would be an added bonus :)

5. rsparrowk

rsparrowk Gold Member Gold Subscriber
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    I am so ****ing happy right now. I have been wanting this game for so long. I remember like 4 or 5 years ago they talked about it and nothing since then. Thank you so much posting this. Man I can't wait!

6. xpghax

xpghax Gold Section Mod/Uploader
    205/282

Console:
    Other
    yeah me too,im a massive fan of skyrim and cant wait for this to come out

7. Pobatti

Pobatti Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    The problem with introducing other players into the Elder Scrolls 'world' is that it breaks immersion for a number of reasons:
    • It's hard to picture another player as an 'Elder Scrolls inhabitant', rather than another real-world player.
    • People's play styles would be affected, it would be harder to role-play if you're "competing" for some "points" reward.
    • Other players can be incredibly annoying, and might ruin the experience,
    • If this is 1000 years before Skyrim, why are people discussing the 5 other Elder Scrolls?
    Right now, there's little reason for us XBox360 owners to get really excited about this, as right now it's PC only. We could theoretically get it when the next-generation rolls around, but for now it just plain won't exist for us. This isn't as major as it sounds, since people are already complaining about the change in art style, gameplay and simplified control method.

Personally, the only interest I really have with this game is the potential ability to explore the whole of Tamriel. What this would boil down to, for me, is a simple run around the memorable landmarks (for example Whiterun, the Imperial City, Vivec), and seeing all those places rendered in 2013-quality graphics, and then being disappointed when some of the secondary locations (like Bleak Falls Barrow, the Ayleid Ruins of Cyrodiil, or the Dwemer ruins of Morrowind) aren't reproduced 100% accurately or may be entirely absent.

Since those sorts of interesting locations are bound to turn up on Youtube or in the Wiki pages, there's no real need to play the game specifically for these, so I'm not really bothered too much about the game right now. Maybe in another 12 months I might become more excited over this but not quite yet.

8. SlootesHaveAIDS

SlootesHaveAIDS Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    cant wait for this

9. de

demonsdad Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    I have to agree and even if they did release it for the 360, odds are they would find some excuse to charge for the online gameplay just like final fantasy did with the monthly subscription.

10. xLeggox

xLeggox #WeOut
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    hope it runs well on intel core i3.