CONFIRMED: Microsoft to Reverse Xbox One DRM Policies

SphinxOG Jun 19, 2013

1. SphinxOG

SphinxOG Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox One
    IT'S CONFIRMED WOOHOO
    Games now work like an xbox360 (buy,rent,trade,sell,lend to and from anyone)

No 24 hour check in (one time connection required for initial setup of the console)

Region free console (buy from any country and play games from any country)

Last week at E3, the excitement, creativity and future of our industry was on display for a global audience.

For us, the future comes in the form of Xbox One, a system designed to be the best place to play games this year and for many years to come. As is our heritage with Xbox, we designed a system that could take full advantage of advances in technology in order to deliver a breakthrough in game play and entertainment. We imagined a new set of benefits such as easier roaming, family sharing, and new ways to try and buy games. We believe in the benefits of a connected, digital future.

Since unveiling our plans for Xbox One, my team and I have heard directly from many of you, read your comments and listened to your feedback. I would like to take the opportunity today to thank you for your assistance in helping us to reshape the future of Xbox One.

You told us how much you loved the flexibility you have today with games delivered on disc. The ability to lend, share, and resell these games at your discretion is of incredible importance to you. Also important to you is the freedom to play offline, for any length of time, anywhere in the world.

So, today I am announcing the following changes to Xbox One and how you can play, share, lend, and resell your games exactly as you do today on Xbox 360. Here is what that means:

• An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games – After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.
    • Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today – There will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360.
    In addition to buying a disc from a retailer, you can also download games from Xbox Live on day of release. If you choose to download your games, you will be able to play them offline just like you do today. Xbox One games will be playable on any Xbox One console -- there will be no regional restrictions.

These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One. The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold. Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray.

We appreciate your passion, support and willingness to challenge the assumptions of digital licensing and connectivity. While we believe that the majority of people will play games online and access the cloud for both games and entertainment, we will give consumers the choice of both physical and digital content. We have listened and we have heard loud and clear from your feedback that you want the best of both worlds.

Thank you again for your candid feedback. Our team remains committed to listening, taking feedback and delivering a great product for you later this year.

Source - http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update

2. sensi420

sensi420 Contributor TeamXPG
    205/282

Console:
    Xbox
    I hope they do reverse it all. It may have been there plan in the 1st place, nothing like free publicity.

3. nesta12345

nesta12345 Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    i doubt it to.

4. Bu

Bullet Guest

Until i read it from Major Nelsons blog and have pics... it aint true lol !

5. X9Cinema

X9Cinema Resident GFX Guru Lifetime Gold
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    I'm calling BS, this is changing everything they said, and why I think it's fake, is because of the backwards compatible change.

6. SphinxOG

SphinxOG Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox One
    The thing is the damage is done, most people will have already put down deposit on ps4 and will stick to it on principal. I persoanlly think they will look so dumb if they go back on their policies

7. xpghax

xpghax Gold Section Mod/Uploader
    205/282

Console:
    Other
    i call BS on this,to implement most changes would require them to near enough redesign most of the console in terms of software/hardware...

8. Ro

Rocky Guest

9. Tard3dGnom3

Tard3dGnom3 Lifetime Gold Lifetime Gold
    55/94

Console:
    Xbox One
    I stand by Bullet on this. I would like to see something from his blog on this.

10. SphinxOG

SphinxOG Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox One
    It's official, Microsoft have reverted all DRM check it out here http://news.xbox.com/2013/05/qa

the site keeps crashing as its being viewed by hundreds of thousands

11. SphinxOG

SphinxOG Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox One
    Microsoft has backpedalled on some of its controversial Xbox One DRM policies, in a dramatic turnaround.

I'm going to be fleshing this out into a full piece, but here's the quote the heralds the news, as well a link to the page where the changes are documented.

"Update on June 19, 2013: As a result of feedback from the Xbox community, we have changed certain policies for Xbox One reflected in this blog."

The Xbox site is down, so I can't currently get any more information. If anyone has a screencap or quotes, give me a shout.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/05/qa

12. xpghax

205/282

Console:
    Other
    use gyazo for screencap ;)

13. sensi420

sensi420 Contributor TeamXPG
    205/282

Console:
    Xbox
    Yeah i hope this is legit, i really dont want to buy a PS4

14. SphinxOG

SphinxOG Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox One
    I can't the site is just giving errors and i can't go back now

15. xpghax

205/282

Console:
    Other
    that link wouldn't work whatsoever for me lol will see if i can find anything

16. De

DellBoy Veni Vidi Vici Lifetime Gold
    235/282

Console:
    Xbox
    its the only thing that's going to change peoples minds they must be sat in the head office thinking what the F have we done they need to address some issues though and if this where true then they know straight away they will get back 80-90% of the people who said F you M$ because of all this and some will just not bother coz of all this crap

defo but one thing with major nelson is he's been wrong before saying stuff and then getting a big spanking of managment for saying the wrong stuff he recently did it also, would be nice though, but every day M$ are loosing trust future sales growth and the trust in developers as they keep passing the blame on to dev's M$ do but they aren't doing it at Sony so its M$ fault. He's hoping they do change there stuff but how many loyal members do you think they will of lost anyway now even if they do revert

if you read it carefully he doesn't mention anything about backwards compatiblity everyone knows its impossible to have the xbox one play 360 games he was saying that they will be making it just who the 360 works basically mate ;)

not really bro its still far from completed and M$ are very clever people I wouldn't be suprised if they had both ways ready to go and can out with this one first to await the reaction, they could very easierly go back on it

17. De

DellBoy Veni Vidi Vici Lifetime Gold
    235/282

Console:
    Xbox
    lol seriously mate they have!!!!!! my mate is on the phone reading it to me site is flooded with millions trying to read don't know the full details but seems they have reverted back

18. xpghax

205/282

Console:
    Other
    Your Feedback Matters – Update on Xbox One
    Last week at E3, the excitement, creativity and future of our industry was on display for a global audience.
    For us, the future comes in the form of Xbox One, a system designed to be the best place to play games this year and for many years to come. As is our heritage with Xbox, we designed a system that could take full advantage of advances in technology in order to deliver a breakthrough in game play and entertainment. We imagined a new set of benefits such as easier roaming, family sharing, and new ways to try and buy games. We believe in the benefits of a connected, digital future.

Since unveiling our plans for Xbox One, my team and I have heard directly from many of you, read your comments and listened to your feedback. I would like to take the opportunity today to thank you for your assistance in helping us to reshape the future of Xbox One.
    You told us how much you loved the flexibility you have today with games delivered on disc. The ability to lend, share, and resell these games at your discretion is of incredible importance to you. Also important to you is the freedom to play offline, for any length of time, anywhere in the world.

So, today I am announcing the following changes to Xbox One and how you can play, share, lend, and resell your games exactly as you do today on Xbox 360.

Here is what that means:
    An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games – After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.
    Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today – There will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360.
    In addition to buying a disc from a retailer, you can also download games from Xbox Live on day of release. If you choose to download your games, you will be able to play them offline just like you do today. Xbox One games will be playable on any Xbox One console -- there will be no regional restrictions.
    These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One. The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold. Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray.

We appreciate your passion, support and willingness to challenge the assumptions of digital licensing and connectivity. While we believe that the majority of people will play games online and access the cloud for both games and entertainment, we will give consumers the choice of both physical and digital content. We have listened and we have heard loud and clear from your feedback that you want the best of both worlds.

Thank you again for your candid feedback. Our team remains committed to listening, taking feedback and delivering a great product for you later this year.

19. SphinxOG

SphinxOG Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox One

So, today I am announcing the following changes to Xbox One and how you can play, share, lend, and resell your games exactly as you do today on Xbox 360. Here is what that means:

• An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games – After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.
    • Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today – There will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360.

source - Last week at E3, the excitement, creativity and future of our industry was on display for a global audience.

20. BinaryX

BinaryX Lifetime Gold XPG Developer Lifetime Gold
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    This is great news yeah!
    On a side note; i don't think it's impossible for backwards compatibility.

I mean surely they could create an emulator of some kind to play 360 games..
    Perhaps Xbox One games require a different kind of programming which is why 360 games won't work, has nothing to do with architecture lol might just be an excuse.