Are Promo Versions of Games Rare?

TheWoodenDragon Jul 27, 2013

1. TheWoodenDragon

TheWoodenDragon Newbie
    235/282

Console:
    Xbox
    I was on Amazon a few days ago and realised someone was selling what they described as an - "Official Promotional Version (FULL GAME)( A PROMO Version is normally released prior to the Official launch of the game and is handed out to media etc., excellent for Collectors' and it usually never includes the manual). Original Black Label Version of the Game. This game is NEW BUT NOT FACTORY SEALED. DISC and MANUAL (unusual) in Official Case with Inlay NEW and Untouched (We Assure You)."

So I was curious, are they actually rare and what makes them good for collectors to collect? Thank you to anybody who can help me with this.
    Just incase anybody was wondering, here is the item: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B000E52P9A/sr=8-1/qid=1374963197/ref=olp_tab_collectible?ie=UTF8&colid=&coliid=&condition=collectible&me=&qid=1374963197&seller=&sr=8-1

2. begallegal1

begallegal1 Medicine Man Lifetime Gold TeamXPG
    235/282

Console:
    Xbox
    Reviewer copys / promo copys in my opinion are not worth anything more than retail price for the game, there is rarely anything special about them other than possibly a different cover or cover layout. If you are a fan of a particular game it may be worth getting just to have.

as far as I know there are no printed versions of any games that have extra features like dev menus/debug etc. Before going to print all games are security signed so they will run on retail xboxs (not dev or test kits)

3. TheWoodenDragon

TheWoodenDragon Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    I am a huge Alan Wake fan and will definitely consider getting it, but thank you for that very in-depth answer.