Star Wars Battlefront's Fighter Squadron Mode Needs Some Variation

Nasyr Aug 8, 2015

1. Nasyr

Nasyr The Nice One Lifetime Gold XPG Retired Staff
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox One
    Thoughts of dogfighting over the surface of the planet Sullust should raise your heartbeat a little bit. It's an exciting prospect. Really, that goes for piloting any vessel in the Star Wars canon through any franchise locale. If only our childhood selves could see us now.​
    Recently, we hopped into those spaceships in Star Wars Battlefront at gamescom. We gave the game's newly-announced Fighter Squadron mode a test run, as we zigged and zagged about the Sullust atmosphere in hot pursuit of anyone and everyone.​
    Somehow, it's not all it's cracked up to be. At least not yet.​

[​IMG]
    The build of Fighter Squadron that we saw essentially operates as a team deathmatch. There were X-Wings battling against TIE Fighters -- ten humans to a side with another ten AI-controlled vehicles, which brings the total to 40 players in each game. Aside from attempting to shoot down others, occasional large transport ship would spawn. They needed to be either defended or destroyed.​
    The way your ship functions is the best thing about Fighter Squadron. Everyone has a set of blasters that are prone to overheating, a homing missile that's effective (yet still challenging to use properly), and a set of evasive maneuvers. The difference between sides is that TIE Fighters have a boost mechanic, while the X-Wings get a shield. The trick is that everything needs to be used in moderation because reusing it all is on a short timer.​
    [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjqqwZGNHPg[/youtube]​
    Generally, this sort of fast ability freeze-out wouldn't be too big of a deal, but it is because of the pace that Fighter Squadron moves at. With all the other pilots making quick cuts across the battlefield, you need to perfectly time when you pull your punches. Otherwise, your lasers get lost in the great void.​
    Source: DT

2. jp

jparker6 Member
    25/47

Console:
    Xbox
    God, Please give this to Xbox 360!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

3. Brittany

Brittany No U
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox One
    Good thing I have my KontrolFreeks, I'll need them for my expert piloting skills ;)