Wii-U The Best Console You Can Buy This Christmas Is A Wii

Nasyr Dec 21, 2014

1. Nasyr

Nasyr The Nice One Lifetime Gold XPG Retired Staff
    25/47

Console:
    Xbox One
    Consoles have always been a great gift around Christmas time, whether it be for families trying to appease their children, partners looking for a long-lasting source of entertainment for their significant others, or just hardcore gamers waiting patiently for an upgrade. But ever since the launch of the PlayStation 4 and the Xbox One, the upgrade path from the previous generation has been difficult to justify for many. The initial launch window was marred by an underwhelming lack of choice, not helped by the delay of major exclusives and multi-platform titles such as Driveclub and Watch Dogs. Year on, the libraries for both consoles have improved markedly. The server infrastructure has grown as well, and Microsoft and Sony’s mandatory multiplayer services – Xbox Live and PlayStation Plus – are providing more value for money every month.​
    There’s just one problem: the first-party exclusives aren't exactly what you’d call ‘killer apps’.​
    Sony has had the worst of it this year, with their best offering being the remastered edition of The Last of Us, a game that’s more than 12 months old. The rest of the first-party crop isn't much to crow about either: Knack was panned across the board, it took two months before Driveclub started working properly, and LittleBigPlanet 3 isn't exactly the all-ages console seller Sony hoped it would be.​
    Microsoft has fared much better, with Sunset Overdrive and Forza Horizon 2 both receiving plaudits from gamers and gaming press alike. But neither is the kind of title you’d actively shell out hundreds of dollars for. They lack the known quantity of a Call of Duty, the star power of an Uncharted sequel, or the raw depth of Bloodborne, which won’t arrive until early next year.​
    The Xbox does, of course, have Halo, although the release of Halo: The Master Chief Collection has been marred by some extraordinary matchmaking issues. As of this week, 343 Industries are still pushing out patches to improve the “reliability of matchmaking parties”, a month after release.​
    So if the first-party exclusives are few and flawed, where does the discerning consumer turn for a hassle-free purchase this Christmas? The answer, remarkably, is Nintendo.​
    As bizarre and under powered the console is compared to its big-budget cousins, the Wii U has had the benefit of time when it comes to ironing out its online infrastructure. The Nintendo eShop now offers a serviceable offering of downloadable titles from past eras, and the performance issues often heard about with major releases – this year in particular – are pleasantly absent from the Wii U, provided you’re not playing a Sonic game.​
    More importantly, the games are titles everyone wants to play. Nobody with a soul has not enjoyed a multiplayer session of Mario Kart 8, no matter how many blue shells and bullets interfered with proceedings. It’s the one game that every man, woman and child can unabashedly enjoy, whether they’re alone or with a group, irrespective of the ages or the size of that grouping.​
    Super Smash Bros doesn't the wide appeal of Mario Kart, but that doesn't mean it’s not one of the most likeable, party-friendly fighters on the market. The inclusion of the Amiibos gives the latest Smash Bros an addictiveness that only heightens the cult-like fervour around the game. And that’s not accounting for the sheer depth within Smash Bros that has kept the competitive community alive for a decade and a half.​
    Two games are good enough, but for a true Christmas present you really want a triumvirate. Enter Bayonetta 2, the sequel to the manic third-person action brawler. It’s difficult to appreciate just how wonderful Bayonetta can be in its magic-induced madness, so here’s the trailer instead.​
    There aren’t many games that let you dance-fight demons on a moving jet fighter while building your Umbran Climax metre. And there also aren't many games that have a plot as remarkably incoherent and nonsensical as Bayonetta. But it does mean you get a crazy cabal of monsters and wonderfully vibrant combos to dispatch them with, making for a visual spectacle that plays a little like God of War on an acid trip.​
    You can’t get that experience on the PlayStation 4 or Xbox One right now and it’s farfetched to expect Sony or Microsoft to adopt the unusual perspective and craziness that Nintendo injects into their games. Sure, the Wii U could use plenty more third-party developers, but that doesn't detract from the quality of the games that it has.​
    They work. They’re fun. The console is noticeably cheaper, the games have far fewer performance issues, and while the Wii U lacks the hardware in its more expensive rivals, that hasn't stopped games like Bayonetta 2 or the upcoming Splatoon from looking beautiful in their own right.​
    It’s not the state of affairs I thought I’d see by the end of the year, but there’s no doubting that the Wii U is the console to buy this Christmas. As more exclusives launch on the PS4 and XB1 – especially without the problems that have beset so many major releases this year – that conclusion might change.​
    But for now, there’s no better bang for buck than the Bayonetta-Mario Kart-Smash Bros triumvirate.​
    Source: PCGamer

2. prodigy

prodigy Trusted Seller since 2014 :)
    95/188

Call of Duty Recovery Seller
    Console:
    Computer
    Very true I did buy a xbox one for my suite at school lol it is well known for buying them as Christmas gifts Nice share.

3. Ro

Rocky Guest

I love my Wii U and it has a great selection of games ;)

4. SLAVE

SLAVE Skate
    45/47

Console:
    Xbox
    ehh i sold my wii u boring 4 me

5. du

dufc1983 Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Wii u is a child's console it's Fecal Leaking

6. Nasyr

185/188

Console:
    Xbox One
    Woah :eek: It's a families console, which really isn't that bad. Have you ever owned one in the past? Or is that what you just think or were told? Can you defend your statement?

7. du

dufc1983 Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    I've had one since launch and even my kids don't use it so yes can defend my statement it's basic and apart from Mario it doesn't offer anything

8. Nasyr

185/188

Console:
    Xbox One
    But basic is the easiest which, "most people like." What specifically do you not like, the graphics? Or just the fact that it's basic and offers little to no games you may like?

9. du

dufc1983 Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Interface, games choice, clunky controls, it's basic because it's cheaply made and only small children would get any use out of it cause that's the market it's aimed for

10. Heavy Smoker

Heavy Smoker Battlefield Junkie XPG Retired Staff
    205/282

Console:
    Xbox
    There was some crazy WAW mods on Wii a few years back.
    Sold my ages ago not a fan of the Wii

11. Ro

Rocky Guest

Nintendo never make cheap consoles, fair enough there never popular as Microsoft and Sony.

But I would like to see a child play The Legend of Zelda so aimed at kids I personally think you're incorrect but thats you opinion, Anyhoo game on and enjoy :D

12. DankScope

DankScope Member
    25/47

Console:
    Xbox One
    I love my Wii u, Big Zelda, Mario and Starfox fan. Cant wait for 2015 Zelda and Starfox!