Heads Up Display Coming To Cars Soon...

Bullet Dec 15, 2014

1. Bu

Bullet Guest

As some of you may know I am a bit of a Land Rover enthusiast and lately have been keeping my eye on the progression of the new Land Rover Discovery which has an interesting new feature not yet seen on any vehicles on the road. Now stick with me here, this isn't a thread on how awesome Land Rovers are, this is more a glimpse into the future of cars and technology.

The new Land Rover Discovery has cameras mounted on the grille which capture and relay video feed to a heads-up display in the windscreen, essentially making the bonnet transparent. This is an extremely handy feature when off-roading, as anyone that has driven a Land Rover Discovery will tell you. Having the ability to see where your wheels are going is often crucial when negotiating off road terrain.

So what you are thinking, I don't ever go off roading, so why should this interest me? Well Jaguar Land Rover are actually using the same technology to create a 360 degree windscreen with zero blind spots.
    Using strategically placed cameras, the blind spot-causing pillars between car windows will essentially become transparent, activated when the driver looks over their shoulder. Each side pillar in the vehicle would have a screen embedded on the inside that displays a video feed of what's on the outside of each pillar.

The car company is also making use of cloud connectivity, to create a heads up display (HUD) on the windscreen which will be capable of showing not only directions, but also a 'Ghost car' that you could follow to the drivers desired destination. The display would also highlight dangers such as pedestrians or cyclists, show points of interest and much more.

Right now this technology is proof of concept, but it does show how technology is making its way into our vehicles turning them into smart cars. Watch the video below and see what you think of the tech...
    Good idea or a step too far?

http://youtu.be/c98h41TkREA

2. jordanp01

jordanp01 Lifetime Gold Lifetime Gold
    135/188

Console:
    Playstation 4
    wow thats some really amazing technology that there doing with cars now thanks for sharing this it was interesting