Can I Use Both 12V And 5V From Dvd Pin Header?

dacore84 Sep 1, 2014

1. da

dacore84 Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Hey guys!

A few years ago I got hold of a RROD which I was able to fix. It ran perfect for about 4 years before it RROD again a couple of weeks ago. I´ve now fixed it again but to hopefully not get another RROD I will add a couple of extra fans..

I bougth an external PSU just to try some fans out. I think I will use one 80x80 fan on the big GPU heat sink and a 70x70 on the smaller GPU heat sink (in front of the CPU heat sink). I wish I could have used two 80mm instead but there´s no room on the smaller heat sink for a bigger fan.

With this setup (crappy stock fans) I got the GPU to decrease about 20 degress celcius, the CPU about 10 degrees and the memory about 20 degrees also. So I really hope this will cool the system enough. And I will buy some more expensive fans with more CFM than these two..

But on to my questions.. I´ve taken the DVD-drive out since it´s a jtag (thats why I can use the 80mm fan on the GPU heat sink) so the DVD pin header is free to use. I´ve read that you can use the 12V pin for the fan. But can I connect both fans to that 12V pin? Or is that to much? Otherwise I believe there are another 12V and one 5V pin also. Is it otherwise possible to use the 80mm fan on the 5V and the 70mm fan on the 12V (for lower dB)? Should I use different ground pins for each of the fans?

Sorry for bad english and perhaps dumb questions but I don´t want to do anything stupid...

Thanks guys!

best regards
    dacore