Xbox One: Microsoft exec explains console’s name

XPG Darkside May 28, 2013

1. XPG Darkside

XPG Darkside Eating cake.... Gold Subscriber Lifetime Gold
    0/47

Eating cake.
    Console:
    Xbox One
    Xbox One might sound chronologically incorrect, seeing as it’s Microsoft’s third home console, but exec Jeff Henshaw has shed more light on how the company came up with the name.

[​IMG]

Speaking with CNET, Henshaw said, “The original Xbox was just the ‘Xbox’, it wasn’t ‘One’”.

When asked if the ‘One’ part might cause confusion, Henshaw continued, “But this vernacular formed where people referred to it as the Xbox.

Even today during interviews, I’ve slipped. It only takes a little while before you realize what’s going on underneath that name.

“There’s something very powerful about it. Xbox One really embodies the concept that this is the first device, the combination of this very powerful console that brings all its eight cores, 8GB of RAM, super fast memory, super powerful SoC we built, super powerful dedicated audio and video processing subsystems.

There’s incredible power in this device, married with the next generation of Kinect for really enabling those subtle interactions between you and your entertainment”.

He added that Xbox One is, “The embodiment that this becomes one device that addresses all the entertainment that you want to enjoy on your TV, and brings it to you in a way that’s so simple, that it can be the only input you have connected through your television.

It is truly the one place to go for all this. So One ends up being a deeply meaningful thing to us here. It’s almost a bar that we are striving to achieve, and I think we nailed it really well with the Xbox One.”

We all got that yeah, good? Does the name make sense? Are you excited for the console? Let us know below.

2. Bu

Bullet Guest

Bad name, bad design, bad concept, the gaming better be out of this world.

3. NaCLy AF

NaCLy AF Lifetime Gold Lifetime Gold
    235/282

Console:
    Xbox One
    And again .. All they mention ... TV TV .. :(

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

4. ccaveman84

ccaveman84 XPG Mod Freak XPG Developer
    205/282

Console:
    Xbox
    Totally agree

also the explanation as to why its called "Xbox One" still doesn't seem to answer any questions
    it just seems like the guy got caught on the spot and spouted any old Fecal Leaking as a cover lol.

5. BinaryX

BinaryX Lifetime Gold XPG Developer Lifetime Gold
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Maybe cause it's everything AIO so 'One' ?

6. Yumiyashi

Yumiyashi © Grey Horse Pr0n Lifetime Gold XPG Retired Staff
    55/94

Console:
    Xbox
    Either way, One shouldn't be after the 360. Someone doesn't know their chronological orders.

7. Bu

Bullet Guest

Exactly! Xbox One has moved away from being just a " games console" and is going for a multi entertainment system.

Ask yourself this :

Do we as gamers really want our games console to be multi functional?

Do we really want it for TV ?

Do we want an always online connection?

Do we want a kinect thats always listening ?

Do we want MS taking all our info and passing it on to 3rd party marketing companies?

Do we f00k is my respnse , i just want a console that i can bang a game in and play.

I understand that things progress , things move on, if they didnt nothing would ever improve, but MS hasnt improved the XBOX they have totally changed what the XBOX is, what the consumers use the XBOX for .

8. borris1

borris1 Lifetime Gold Lifetime Gold
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    yh but we dont want all the media stuff onit we just want gaming thats why its a gaming console, we have a tv/sky/virgin media or freeview to watch tv, we have computers to watch bbc, itv,channel 4 on demand stuff to watch our catch up even smartphones and the whole world apart from people who are poor but there not gonna buy this system are they :LOL: well done microsft you went big on this one :LOL:

9. Bu

Bullet Guest

Thats the whole point though, we already have all this stuff.. but MS want us to buy all this stuff from THEM!

MS are just moving in on a suggestible audience. They know every kid will want the new XBOX , and eventually the parents will start to use and pay for all the services that will go hand in hand with this All In One media system.

10. XPG Darkside

460/564

Eating cake.
    Console:
    Xbox One
    This is why I'm serouly thinking of converting to a PS4 all the one is, is a dam tv with xbox branding, no I dont want to watch tv on my box I have a TV !! I don't listen to music on there thats what my phone is for or youtube.

Like B said stuff has to upgarde but the one is more like a multimedia hub then a hardcore gaming system.

Look at the oringal xbox that thing was a beast thats where MS have gone wrong IMO to much after the wonga $$$ then thinking about the dam people who buy it.

11. BinaryX

BinaryX Lifetime Gold XPG Developer Lifetime Gold
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    They made it AIO for a good reason, to increase the sales probably so more people would get the system.
    But also i don't think that if the One were a gaming-only system that there would be better specs, maybe for the current tech the hardware is at the limit.

12. Bu

Bullet Guest

According to Australian law the Microsoft Xbox One meets the regulatory standards of a surveillance device. While in Germany Federal Data Protection Commissioner, Peter Schaar, has labelled the Xbox One console from Microsoft a “twisted nightmare”.

13. borris1

borris1 Lifetime Gold Lifetime Gold
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    yeahh they should listen to us, give us some ideas and then we vote and they make then we will all be happy because we made it how us gamers want i, i dont like the sound off the kinect being in at all times, cuz i had the kinect day it come out and i used it once :LOL: the xbox pad lookes like dreamcast pad next we will be putting memeory card in the top :LOL: but theres 1 thing like those analog button nice grip :D

14. XPG Darkside

460/564

Eating cake.
    Console:
    Xbox One
    You can turn the kinect off I repoerted it earlier mate so it wont be tracking you 24/7. ;)

http://www.xpgamesaves.com/topic/74121-kinect-one-alarms-privacy-watchdogs-but-can-be-deactivated/