Xbox One: “If you’re backwards compatible, you’re really backwards,” says Mattrick

XPG Darkside May 22, 2013

1. XPG Darkside

XPG Darkside Eating cake.... Gold Subscriber Lifetime Gold
    0/47

Eating cake.
    Console:
    Xbox One
    Xbox One won’t be backwards compatible, and it’s not like anyone was expecting it to be, really; however, according to Microsoft’s Don Mattrick, such thinking is “backwards” anyway.

[​IMG]

Speaking with the Wall Street Journal, Mattrick said only a “small percentage” of customers play older games, therefore, being backwards compatible isn’t fiscally prudent.

“We created something that understands how to be performant for all scenarios and all combinations,” says Mattrick. “If you’re backwards compatible, you’re really backwards.”

Sony tried it when PS3 was first released, before eventually removing the hardware chips and culling software emulation with the 40 and 80GB re-releases, the 160GB, and the 2009 slim version. However, before then, the system was backwards compatible with PS2 games.

Compatibility was removed once more developers created games for PS3, and market stauration reached 80-90% by it’s third year on the market. PlayStation 2 even supported PSone titles, and Xbox 360 supported select original Xbox titles.

Most companies – Nintendo and Sony – have switched over to the digital market where gamers can purchase older titles revamped for current-gen consoles.

Now, with next-gen on the horizon, the digital versions of older games purchased won’t work on the newer consoles, which means in order to play them, the consumer will have to hang on to their older consoles. Because progress.

Thanks, Gamasutra.

2. daniyal

daniyal The Deathbringer of COD
    45/47

Student
    Console:
    Playstation 4
    At least should have let the digital games work :/

3. Gazzabazza

Gazzabazza Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Looking at this from a different perspective, I'm not that worried about backwards compatibility. I fully accept those concerned about the financial aspect wanting to trade in their current system for a new one, so having the option to play both systems isn’t viable. However, isn’t everything about progress? I remember getting the original PS3 which had the ability to go play PS2 games, but after playing GTA San Andreas a few times and then playing the then brilliant Resistance: Fall of Man, I soon realised that I was dwelling in the past and kind of forgot about my old PS2 games. I spent a fortune of them, but I didn't care, I just moved forward and got on with things.

I have the best part of 50 Xbox 360 games, but knowing me, when Xbox One comes out. They will be archived in the retro folder of my memory, waiting to be resurfaced by some future clever PC emulator which no doubt will bring on some outstanding nostalgia. In fact, I’m already looking forward to it.